5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

Those with dynatrac...

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2010, 08:50 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Those with dynatrac...

Have you ever noted the lockout doesn't fit the hub tightly?

I had to double the large retaining clip to force the hub body further into the hub, thereby forcing the oring to actually seal. Not sure that's normal...but it works.

I thought it was the bolt/screws bottoming out, but its a lockout/hub body interference.

Old 10-18-2010, 11:17 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

I can't be the only one with this problem...it affects both hubs!

FYI, if you haven't repacked your bearings in the last few miles...make sure you do. I did mine for the first time with over 100k on them...some of the grease had washed out because of the poor lockout seal...turned my outer bearing golden brown. I actually kept using that bearing, just have a set of spares in case. I also found a damaged seal on the one spindle bearing, and that had caused the bearing and spindle to rust...not a good thing.

I just redid them again this Saturday, one had 50k miles on Pennzoil 707L and the other had about 30k on Lucas Red'nTacky. The reason the one had less miles was because I found a bad spindle bearing when I pulled the hubs to change ball joints, it took me all summer to get the time to change it.

The Lucas looked like crap (literally)...it was brown, it was runny in places, and it was solidified between the rollers in the bearing. The 707L looked like I had just put it in...still bright red, still very tacky, still the same consistency. The only reason I pulled them to repack was because the Lucas side had started running warmer...both had similar play (clearance), so I feel confident that it wasn't a tight bearing (plus, it just started). Since I only run 4wd once in a while, I didn't bother to pull the spindles and repack the spindle bearings.

I repacked both with Schaeffers #274, so we will see how it fairs. I've been impressed with it in u-joints and ball joints.

Last edited by steved; 10-18-2010 at 11:22 AM.