5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

Truck Mysteriously shut down and wont restart

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 07:46 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Truck Mysteriously shut down and wont restart

Here is my truck: 03 3500 4x4 dually with an II Double Dragon CP3 , 200 hp injectors , Phat Shaft 71 turbo / Dr. performance pressure module / PPE Programmer / FASS 150/150 / New fully built engine installed in February this year. The CP3 and injectors were also new then. It has about 5000 miles on it since the new set up.

So this is a new one for me. Been driving my truck without any kind of problems all day. Had my truck idling for about 45 minutes without any kind of problems. Went to leave my shop , used a little bit of throttle going in reverse , when I put my truck in drive and eased into the throttle I got up to 30 mph. Then the truck made what sounded like a fuel pressure spike then the rail pressure gauge went nuts and it shut down. It isnt leaking any fuel (20 psi of fuel pressure) , it isnt making any rail pressure , no smoke from the stacks or oil filler cap , nothing in my oil or coolant , no broken or leaking fuel lines. Has a little bit of a funny sound when it turns over but it turns over smooth. It isnt throwing any kind of codes either. Im just stumped and any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Old 09-01-2010, 07:51 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

take the dr p off and try again...... does the ppe stay on the truck ? take that off try again....... sure the tank has fuel ? crack fuel filter, turn key to run see if fuel pumps out..... no fuel, lift pump died, possibly a while ago and cp3 rinally got tired of trying to suck fuel and quit....... check fuses also.

Old 09-03-2010, 10:39 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 111 Likes on 105 Posts

I'm sure you can hear the lift pump! As far as the rail pressure goes check the PRV if it's just dumping you won't have any fuel pressure in the rail and No Start! What does the rail guage read when you crank it?