5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

tire psi question?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 10:02 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default tire psi question?

So I have been searching all day and have found nothing but 50% of the peole say its ok to run 35 to 40 psi in e load tires for daily driving and the other 50% say you shouldn't run less the 55 psi or so, what are peolpe running their psi at for unloaded daily driving? Mine are at 65 psi and the roads her suck so bad that some times it feels like the rear end is actually hopping and was wondering if lowering the psi to 40 or so would help smooth the ride out while being safe and non damaging to the tires. Thanks

Old 08-26-2010, 01:02 AM
Administrator

Received 340 Likes on 273 Posts

i run 50 psi in mine

Old 08-26-2010, 03:03 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

I hear you. I wish they could smooth out all the roads but I guess that ain't going to happen anytime soon.
I still have the Michelin LTX that came OEM on mine. Back when I got the truck I asked a local tire professional what pressure to run empty. I told him I would like to get the best MPG possible as well as the most mileage out of the tires. He told me to keep them at 80 psi all the time. I guess I have gotten used to the ride. . . . (Wow, is it pretty rough!). I have 60,k on them now and they still aren't quite on the wear bars yet. If we hadn't towed that big toy hauler across the country and back, I'm sure I could have gotten at least 70,k on them.
If you are running different tires, you need to ask a pro for sure. You don't want to wear out the center or outsides prematurely. (I was looking at mine the other day and they almost need a little more air!) (Centers have a little more tread than the edges . . .)

Old 08-26-2010, 04:27 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

because every tire/vehicle is diffrent I was told a long time ago that the only way to have a tire properly inflated is to rub chalk across the treads and drive around if the chalk rubs off the middle its overinflated on the outside is under adjust presssure till the chalk wears evenly all the way thru its time consuming but it works Ive done this for years and all my tires have lasted.

Old 08-26-2010, 11:52 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 162 Likes on 143 Posts

i run 60 to 65 in mine and my hankooks are at 50% after 35,000 miles of pulling, and a few burnouts

Old 08-26-2010, 12:07 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I got BFG's AT and on the back I run 45psi and up front I run 65. When I hook my gooseneck horse trailer up I run 75psi on the back. It keeps the wear smooth across the whole tire. I tried running more in the back as a daily driver but it started to wear the centers of the tire to much so I put 45 in them and so far so good...

Old 08-26-2010, 01:21 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 186 Likes on 159 Posts

What tires you have? Load range? Optimum inflation pressure is going to vary quite a bit depending on the type of tire, how you are using it and how low you are willing to go to sacrifice long term wear for ride comfort. It usually takes me about a year and 3 or 4 adjustments to find the pressures I end up running for the remainder of any given set of tire's life. After that, the only change I make is adding air to the rears when loaded or towing.

Old 08-26-2010, 01:41 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 434 Likes on 356 Posts

Originally Posted by millco
I hear you. I wish they could smooth out all the roads but I guess that ain't going to happen anytime soon.
I still have the Michelin LTX that came OEM on mine. Back when I got the truck I asked a local tire professional what pressure to run empty. I told him I would like to get the best MPG possible as well as the most mileage out of the tires. He told me to keep them at 80 psi all the time. I guess I have gotten used to the ride. . . . (Wow, is it pretty rough!). I have 60,k on them now and they still aren't quite on the wear bars yet. If we hadn't towed that big toy hauler across the country and back, I'm sure I could have gotten at least 70,k on them.
If you are running different tires, you need to ask a pro for sure. You don't want to wear out the center or outsides prematurely. (I was looking at mine the other day and they almost need a little more air!) (Centers have a little more tread than the edges . . .)
Well if you're running at max load all or most of the time he is correct, otherwise he's not a tire professional. Whatever tires you have the manufacturer should be able to provide you with load and inflation tables for your tire. I'm not sure on E rated tires off the top of my head but I do recall seeing numbers as low 35 psi for D rated tires. Another thing probably 60% of the people who buy E tires don't even need E tires, Put an E rated tire on and run it at 80 when you dont need to and you're just beatin the hell out of your suspension for no reason, besides your shock absorbers your tires are also shock absorbers. I run 285/75-16, D rated 50 psi front and 60 rear and thats more than enough for what I do with my truck

Old 08-26-2010, 01:51 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 186 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by tiremann9669
...probably 60% of the people who buy E tires don't even need E tires, ...
Absolutely. I don't need E-rated tires 99% of the time. But they sure do come in handy those few times a year I get a load of gravel, bricks and whatnot or need to haul something heavy with the trailer or whatever.

Old 08-26-2010, 02:21 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 434 Likes on 356 Posts

Originally Posted by NadirPoint
Absolutely. I don't need E-rated tires 99% of the time. But they sure do come in handy those few times a year I get a load of gravel, bricks and whatnot or need to haul something heavy with the trailer or whatever.
Well if you need them 1% of the time then you at least have a need for them but you'd be suprised how many people put them on daily drivers that never haul a load. I run E's on my F350 That has an EZ Dumper in it for when I have to haul heavy

Quick Reply: tire psi question?