5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection
View Poll Results: Brand of Oil Filter You Use
Mopar
11.11%
Fram
11.11%
WIX
27.78%
MicroGard
0%
Mobil 1
0%
K&N
16.67%
Bosch
0%
Purolator
0%
Other
27.78%
Fleetguard Stratapore
5.56%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

A few service questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 04:35 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default A few service questions

Ok so I'm coming up on my first oil change in the new truck and I'm wondering a few things. First what oil filters are everyone using? I've always used WIX in all my other vehicles. Second what brand of oil is everyone using? We've always used Rotella T in our equipment and don't know if there is a better option for my truck.

Next I was wondering what service intervals people were using for:
Oil Changes and Fuel Filters

Also I noticed in the owners manual that it says to change the fluid and filter and adjust the bands in the tranny (48RE) every 30,000. Just wondering if people follow this or not. It also says to drain the front and rear diffs and refill. How many people do this? I've never changed the fluid in a diff unless I was replaceing the seal/gasket because it was leaking.

Old 07-15-2010, 04:56 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I do 5000 on my oil, havent done the fuel filter as of yet going to try and get that done this next week

Old 07-15-2010, 05:58 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

Get the amsoil oil filter. One of the best filters out there.

And I would suggest doing the band adjustment.

Also reason to drop the diff oil is because now that your gears have seated, there will be contaminates in the oil, drop it, put fresh stuff in, and rock away for another 30k.

Old 07-15-2010, 06:07 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by 00CamaroSS
Ok so I'm coming up on my first oil change in the new truck and I'm wondering a few things. First what oil filters are everyone using? I've always used WIX in all my other vehicles. Second what brand of oil is everyone using? We've always used Rotella T in our equipment and don't know if there is a better option for my truck.

Next I was wondering what service intervals people were using for:
Oil Changes and Fuel Filters

Also I noticed in the owners manual that it says to change the fluid and filter and adjust the bands in the tranny (48RE) every 30,000. Just wondering if people follow this or not. It also says to drain the front and rear diffs and refill. How many people do this? I've never changed the fluid in a diff unless I was replaceing the seal/gasket because it was leaking.

i use WIX and Rotella T.
5000 miles and i'll change the fuel filter every oil change or every other.
My tranny needs and flush and filter too, but be sure to use the proper fluid, i think atf4.
Front and rear diff fluid change is easy, if u dont have a drain plug in the diff cover than pull a few bolts out and pry her open a little bit till shes drained.slap some rvt or gasket maker on that sombitch tighten her down and fill her up til the fluid is at the top of the fillin hole.
good lock

Old 07-15-2010, 06:08 AM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by Chevalade
Get the amsoil oil filter. One of the best filters out there.

And I would suggest doing the band adjustment.

Also reason to drop the diff oil is because now that your gears have seated, there will be contaminates in the oil, drop it, put fresh stuff in, and rock away for another 30k.
Well when I bought my truck I bought it from the dealer that sold it new and the guy that bought it took it to them for all the service. I have copies of all the service records for the truck and he was religious about service. in the 75,000 miles he put on it he had 3 tranny services and 3 diff services as well as regular oil changes. I was just wondering if it was something needed to be done.

Old 07-15-2010, 09:15 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

Holy....thats a lil overkill. Good, but a lil overkill. I would get the bands adjusted, leave the diffs for 40k or so. Fuel filters you have to be real careful which you get. Most don't meet the cummins req's. Baldwin seems to be the best.

Old 07-15-2010, 06:50 PM
Diesel Fan

Alright thants for the input.

Old 07-15-2010, 06:54 PM
BOMBARDIER
Received 1,322 Likes on 1,071 Posts

You missed the best filter on the market - FLEETGUARD stratapore. Made by a sister company of Cummins. Your engine was designed with this filter in mind.

Fram and K&N are junk and shouldnt even be on the list.

Last edited by Dr. Evil; 07-15-2010 at 07:04 PM.
The following users liked this post:
24vmatt (07-15-2010)
Old 07-15-2010, 09:09 PM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by Dr. Evil
You missed the best filter on the market - FLEETGUARD stratapore. Made by a sister company of Cummins. Your engine was designed with this filter in mind.

Fram and K&N are junk and shouldnt even be on the list.
I knew I missed one! Thanks for catching that. Yeah I don't like Fram never have and don't know much about the K&N.

Old 07-15-2010, 09:22 PM
BOMBARDIER
Received 1,322 Likes on 1,071 Posts

Ill fix the poll for you.

Dont cheap out on filters and oil guys - both are cheap. Engines arent.

Last edited by Dr. Evil; 07-15-2010 at 09:25 PM.

Quick Reply: A few service questions