5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

Converting the truck to a 4x4?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 10:32 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Converting the truck to a 4x4?

I have always wanted to have another four wheel drive truck. I miss my 2002 just because of that reason. After seeing my buddies 2010 4x4 dually I like it a lot. Then, he put 35s on it and it looks even better. So, this is going to be the next project for my truck.

1. Can I fit 4x4 leaf springs and overload springs on my 2003 2wd truck (I dearched my rear leaf springs but the overloads are not touched. I would like to but 4x4 leaf springs if they are any different then mine).

2. Can I put 4x4 front coil springs on my 2wd truck? If not, I'll have to get new 2wd coils with a spacer. Either way a leveling kit will be used on the truck, but I would like to put 4x4 coil springs on it.

3. I know I would need front and rear drive shafts, front end, transfer case, and the part that comes out of the back side of the transmission. Anything else I am for sure going to need? Most likely would replace all my front end parts while I'm at it.

Any help would be great!

oh yeah..and here's the reason I want to do this:

Old 07-12-2010, 11:29 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

This question comes up a lot, and man, I gotta tell you, it's not really worth it. Its not as simple as just putting 4x4 coils up front. Your talking about a complete redesign of the front suspension. Its a totally different front end, straight axle versus an Independent front suspension. Different steering, different everything... If your dead set on doing it, your talking a lot of custom fabrication and a big wallet.

Old 07-12-2010, 11:33 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ChinookFE
This question comes up a lot, and man, I gotta tell you, it's not really worth it. Its not as simple as just putting 4x4 coils up front. Your talking about a complete redesign of the front suspension. Its a totally different front end, straight axle versus an Independent front suspension. Different steering, different everything... If your dead set on doing it, your talking a lot of custom fabrication and a big wallet.
The time in the shop I'm not worried about. As long as I could find the parts and piece it together it would be already. I've found both drive shafts, t-case, and front end. I'm sure it would take a lot of work but would be kind of a fun thing to do in the winter I guess. The main reason I ask if I can use 4x4 leafs and coils is because my buddy has some. If not, I'll have to find 2wd leafs and coils and go from there (as I have lowered mine).

Thanks for the input! It all helps!