5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

truck not starting

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2010, 11:04 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts
Default truck not starting

Well i just bought an 03 dodge and it has been starting right up the last 2 weeks but i went to jump in it yesterday and run to work in them morning and all it did was turn over and over. i didnt know what to do so i just shot a bit of starting fluid in and it started right up and never had a problem the rest of the day. i just went outside to try and start it this morning and no start. i dont want to start it again with starting fluid and get it addicted to it. i replaced the fuel filter yesterday and i thought that'd solve the problem. it is throwing 2 codes and i'm not sure if they are the problem on of the codes came from where i hooked the edge juice up with attitude that came with it and it started sputtering soon after so i took it off. the codes are
P2146-Fuel Injector Group A Supply Voltage Circuit Open
P0341-Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit Range/Performance.
i dont know if this is an electrical problem or a fuel problem and i dont want to tear into it until i get some advice. Thank ya'll in advance.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Also idles about 1100 sometimes for no reason and it takes a bit to come down when i shift gears. actually is getting a mile to the gallon better fuel mileage since this happened.

Last edited by zach_west; 07-04-2010 at 11:04 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 07-04-2010, 02:07 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 111 Likes on 105 Posts

First check your grounds then check the front injector harness at the valve cover. How many miles on it? May also be a set of worn out injectors!

Old 07-04-2010, 03:25 PM
Diesel Wrench

it's got 176000 if it's worn out injectors can i just replace the nozzles

Old 07-05-2010, 03:05 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The starting problem could also be a bad cam sensor and that could be why you are getting that code. A bad cam sensor can make it hard to start or even keep the truck from starting at all. It also could explain the weird idling problems you are having. As fa as injector group a goes I would ce=heck all connections on the injector wiring harness and see if any are loose or if any of the wires have been chaffed to where the is some bare wires exposed.

Old 07-05-2010, 11:31 AM
Diesel Wrench

i reset the ecm and pulled some more codes off the truck and the camshaft postion keeps coming up so i may have to replace. i'm still checking everything i made sure the batteries were good and all connections were good. all wiring harnesses are good and so are the grounds. im about to go out and check lift pump and see bout that. also where is the cam sensor located since i do not have a service book handy. thank you

Old 07-06-2010, 08:18 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same problem with my 03 Ram it turned out to be a cracked number 1 injector.

Old 07-07-2010, 07:47 PM
Diesel Wrench

well i have some news its not the cam position sensor. it's throwing just one code now for the cooling fan out of range. i replaced the sensor. i pulled a line and the lift pump is also working. still not starting in the mornings or if i leave it a long time. also after turning over for awhile and doesn't start i can hear a ticking coming from the mid part of the motor with key off. not sure what that is. i hope its not a cracked injector.

Old 07-08-2010, 12:31 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

sounds like worn out injectors with high return new nozzles wont fix it.

Old 07-08-2010, 06:18 PM
Diesel Wrench

ya i think ya'll are right it's injectors is there any way to test it for sure before i pull them out i dont really want to do that unless iknow for sure. has fuel coming out of the pressure rail pretty good. pickup still runs perfect once started and not having any problems with power and no white smoke at all i hate to count it as injectors.

Old 07-09-2010, 06:44 PM
Diesel Wrench

ok i found out that i need a set of injectors due to the high pressure diesel in the return line. any ideas .

Quick Reply: truck not starting