5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

how to deactivate "horn honks when in gear and door open"

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 12:39 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default how to deactivate "horn honks when in gear and door open"

I need to deactivate the safety feature. The horn honks when in gear and I open the door. Any one know how?

Last edited by weshurdsman; 06-30-2010 at 01:11 PM.
Old 06-30-2010, 12:47 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

If you have a good dealer they can hook there star scan up and disable it for you, if not if you ever come over this way the dealer here is way cool and would do it for you. Not sure if any of the programmers can disable it or not.

Old 06-30-2010, 02:15 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 144 Likes on 90 Posts

Should be able to find that in the owners manual. Same with the doors locking when you start moving and the stupid seatbelt dinger. I've disabled all of those "safty" features.

Old 07-01-2010, 09:17 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 76 Posts

Can't disable out park alarm without hooking up the delaer tools. Not sure it can be disabled even then, some have claimed it cannot be undone.

Most dealers won't assume the liability for doing so since this was an updated to address safety concerns and that gets into federal statutes.

Old 07-01-2010, 12:57 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

This was a "open recall" on my truck... The dealership that I went to was nice enough to explain what it was to make sure I wanted it done. Needless to say, my truck isn't "fixed" according to Chrysler.

Old 07-02-2010, 01:18 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

cut into the horn wire and put it on a toggle so you can shut the toogle off when you dont want the horn going off

Old 07-02-2010, 02:31 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I was working at the dealer I didn't do the recall because there is no way to undo the "out of park" horn once it is programmed in. Unfortunately when my body control computer (gauge cluster) went out and I replaced it with a new one it already had it programmed in. Trust me I tried EVERYTHING I could with the dealer scanners to reverse it and I couldn't get it done. Now with that being said I have used both a SMARTY and now a PPE w/HOT tuning on my truck and with the programmer loaded on the truck I do not have the "out of park" honking. But as soon as I deprogram the truck it comes back.

Old 07-02-2010, 03:38 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

with it being a flash then, the dealer will not be able to back flash with a star scan they are not setup that way the only way your could do it would be with a smarty or triple dog and have them back date the flash for you, but them helping you do that probably wont happen. but like stated above that might be the only fix is a programmer that doesnt have that tuning wrote in there programmers

Old 07-02-2010, 03:45 PM
Banned
Received 3,297 Likes on 1,640 Posts

Originally Posted by wes-cummins
cut into the horn wire and put it on a toggle so you can shut the toogle off when you dont want the horn going off
who really uses the horn anyway?

disable the stock horn and get some train horns for fun

Old 07-04-2010, 12:49 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I remember right, aren't three things required to make the horn honk?
In Gear, Door open, and seat belt off.
I believe some have jumpered the two wires from the seatbelt under the drviers seat to solve the issue. Obviously this would also cause the fasten seatbelt warning to not function as well.
I have not done it to prove whether it works or not, but I do remember some speaking of it before.