5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

04.5 ho6speed compair 06ho6speed

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 07:00 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default 04.5 ho6speed compair 06ho6speed

What would be the difference between these two engine setups, i know the 04 has a nv5600 and the 06 has the g56. other than that it looks a like the 06 has a taller valve cover and different dash board. whats the other differences? im woundering because i hooked my smarty up to my friends truck which is the 06 and set the tune to 9 catcher, and his truck was super fast blew dark smoke and was fun to drive, other than the clutch getting so hot that it would not downshift. my truck on the other hand hammers along only slightly better than stock, and just wisps a little coal, nothing as intence as the 06 did, and the clutch does not even begin to slip or glaze? does the 06 have more *****? or is there a problem with my 04.5? as a side note both trucks have similar intakes and same exhaust. they both have close to 35" tires but the 06 has a 3:23 gear and mines got 4:10s.

Old 05-27-2010, 07:19 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Well neither one of your trucks has the fuel to fully take advantage of sw9. Try loading a lower sw like 7 into your truck and see if that wakes it up a bit. Also it seems like the newer trucks respond to the smarty REVO better. You should try out some of the Beta tunes or maybe the newest TNT tune on your truck. It might respond better to those programs. My truck ran good with beta 4.2 but didnt run worth a crap with the REVO program. I am running the lastest TNT and I love it. Also where did you have the options set when you tried it?

Old 05-27-2010, 08:32 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

i had the options set with everything in the mild range, basically went in and set it to 9, did not fool with it. this was just for the purpose of my friend wanting to use the smarty. whats the beta4.2?...also does anyone have any information on the difference in the 04.5 and 06 engines? why is the valve cover so much taller? ect ect?

Old 05-29-2010, 07:50 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 76 Posts

There is only 10 ft\lbs difference in TQ between the 2, ho HP diference stock. Injectors, IP, programming is almost identical. You have a better clutch, not much but some. The 4.10's should cut down th esmoke but you should as good of power. There is little difference in the internals and components, the VC is probably just a different style for crank case filter and harness connectors.

He has an in-tank pump which is better than the filter mounted. If you cannot get black smoke and significant power you likely have a fuel problem somewhere. It almost sounds like you have an 305 motor but even then the Smarty should really wake it up if everything else is good.