5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

Injector line noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 03:15 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Injector line noise

Hello all Diesel bombers. I'm hoping one of the many knowledged diesel goro's or someone that have ran asross this can answer my question. The other day I hird a ticking noise coming from the motor, tracked it down to injector line #1. None of the other lines have any noise but #1 has a loud ticking/clicking coming from it when you listen to it through a listening device (long screwdriver to the ear). The motor run/pulls fine warm or cold, but noise is there all the time. Would this be an early sign of my injectors going south? Hoping someone out there can help me. Love the site, keep up the good work bombers

Old 05-04-2010, 08:38 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

good question. Im kinda in the same boat, my 04 ticks like a bastard, its got no power issues, no white smoke, starts up fairly quick. But i hear a good ticking noise similar to a solid lifter cam but louder, and its more aperent when you lug the truck in high gear, or go up hill without downshifting. is this normal for common rails?

Old 05-04-2010, 09:05 PM
FormerVendor
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

It could be that solenoid on the injector is going out...

Old 05-05-2010, 09:29 AM
Diesel Fan

If it is the solenoid can it be changed without replacing the injector or would I have to buy a new injector and replace the whole thing.

Last edited by ykdodger; 05-05-2010 at 11:01 AM.
Old 05-06-2010, 01:08 PM
FormerVendor
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

You would have to replace the whole thing...

Old 05-06-2010, 03:26 PM
Diesel Fan

Is there any test that I can do to see if it is the solenoid and is there any other ideas on what what the noise might be. 392hemix described a noise that he is getting, since he posted his message I have listened to my motor again, and I am getting the same one, as well as the line noise. Any other ideas on the noises that we are getting. I adjusted my valves about 2000Km ago, but the noise started about 500Km ago and I have been adding 2cycle oil for about the last 4 tanks of fuel. I have aslo tried my Banks on different setting including stock, but no difference at idle, the only time I notice a differance with the programer is when you start to get on the fuel it is like a knocking noise but the it goes away, it's only there for a second. My guess that noise is the added timing.

Old 05-10-2010, 03:14 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I would like to figure this out too, just keep reading but not finding much, i test drove an 03 automatic, which is a completly different truck i know, and it basically sounded like a regular diesel, id rather just hear good motor noise similar to my 12 valve not just exhaust noise and injector clicking. im thinking maybe the noise is due to the lack of fuel, because i have stock lift pump? but i hear it in the stock tune. gets louder when you lug the engine.

Old 05-10-2010, 06:31 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 111 Likes on 105 Posts

I would feel better if you guys rechecked your valve adjustment! Then with that ruled out pull your injectors and have them tested! Talk to Isaac at USA freedom diesel he has fast turn around and awesome prices!

Old 05-11-2010, 02:53 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It sounds like your line isolators are loose, very common with the CR just go through and tighten all the isolators if you leave them loose to long it will wear on the inj line and cause it to fail. I doubt you have an inj prob. Hope this helps.

Bob.

The following users liked this post:
ykdodger (05-11-2010)
Old 05-11-2010, 04:28 PM
Diesel Fan

Thanks cowboy I will have to check that one out this weekend.

Quick Reply: Injector line noise