5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

brick seats

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 07:30 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

haha i guess i will! i gotta do something about it! i will report my finding

Old 04-05-2010, 03:06 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Seat reapair

There is an article/how too floating around in the Dodge forums that outlined the repair that is needed with pictures. It goes something like this; I am going off of memory so sorry if it not exact(and sorry I have no pics of this with me at work/Iraq):

Problem: Frame bottom has shape edges and cuts through the foam and cover.

Supplies needed: 2 Pieces of Burlap; (1)18"X18" and (1) 24"X24", Piece of foam 24"X24"X10" of medium density (not too soft or too hard), 6' of stiff wire (about 12-16 ga) or hog rings, spray upolstery glue (3M)

1. remove the DS bottom seat cover and seat foam.

2. Where the seat frame has wore through the seat foam cover the seat frame with the piece of burlap (18"X18" piece of burlap covered my whole seat bottom frame). I covered the whole seat frame with one piece of burlap.

3. Secure the burlap to the seat frame so the sharp edges do not cut the new foam. use the thick wire around the edges(I used hog rings because I have them and the hog ring plyers)

4. take the new piece of foam from the hobby shop and trim it to look like the old seat foam with a electric knife (I just trimed the corners and shaped it like my butt alittle and stuck it on).

5. Spray glue on the bottom of the seat new seat foam and put it over the burlap you installed.

6. Put the large burlap over the seat foam and make sure it is smooth or you will feel it through the seat cover. Secure it under the seat with wire/hog rings.

7. Install the old seat cover. (If you foam is larger than the old foam you will know it when you start putting the cover one.) Just take your time and go slow so you don't rip the cover. It took me about an hour to get my bottom seat cover back on.

8. Sit in your new seat and enjoy it.

The project took me about 2 1/2 hour total and I spent less than $30 at Hobby Lobby on foam and burlap. I repaired mine in my 2007 Dodge Ram 4 dr with cloth seats about 18 months ago and I drive 40 miles one way to work daily. Mine was just out of warrenty when I noticed the issue....figures!

If you have never removed seat cover before just go slow and take your time.

The following users liked this post:
392hemix (04-05-2010)
Old 04-05-2010, 07:41 PM
Diesel Wrench

nice thanks for the information Great post

Old 04-06-2010, 02:30 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep, no problem, hope it helps.

Old 04-16-2010, 03:27 PM
Diesel Wrench

"Mine was just out of warrenty when I noticed the issue....figures!"...is this something i can get covered under my warranty? i have had no time to do it myself so if i could just have dodge do it, that wouldmake my life easeyer, seeing as tho i live in vt and there is no place to buy the supplys close by.

Old 04-16-2010, 04:17 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by 392hemix
really? i figure that would be hard to shape, and hard to control? couldnt make it hurt any worse i know that.....somethings got to be done, and for tiawan, thats a sore subject dont wana go there, sadly the way the untied states is going......we just need to educate ourselves the best we can and stick to buying american made as much as possible!!!!!!!!!!
ive uesed expandible foam to fix a jetski seat u can form it by sanding it but i think that stuff is far to stiff for a truck seat i would not do that. my brother picked up a full set of 2002 dodge black leather for 500 personaly i would put the jeep seats in if there electric they should plug right in, the truck we put the black leather in had manual seats but it still had the electrical for electric seats and then i would just find a leather back seat on ebay, youll problly spend 200 for the back seat at most and then just get a nice center counsel i think it would look realy trick if you do a good job i always thought a air ride seat would be really sick in a dodge to maybe look into that

Old 04-16-2010, 09:36 PM
Diesel Wrench

Yeah, im thinking about getting some slt seats, or leather seats. you said that if you have manual seats, that i could possible have the wierd for the electric seats? i need to check that out, cause if im going to buy a slt seat its most likely going to be electric. i have a 98 jeep with the dark grey, im going to see how they look in it for now. my back is not gettting any better so i need to get a quick fix.

Old 04-19-2010, 05:39 PM
Diesel Wrench

Yeah, im thinking about getting some slt seats, or leather seats. you said that if you have manual seats, that i could possible have the wierd for the electric seats? i need to check that out, cause if im going to buy a slt seat its most likely going to be electric. i have a 98 jeep with the dark grey, im going to see how they look in it for now. my back is not gettting any better so i need to get a quick fix.
the truck we put them in is a 1998 12v with all manual seats and i did the whole interior except the headliner and when i pulled the carpet out to put the ruber matt in the harness was right there i was happy cause it saved me a hour of wirering the seats were out of a 02 1500 i think and then we sold the old staind up seats for 300 so we had 200 dollars into a leather interior conversion for the 98 12 valve maybe you can get lucky like i did just check ur local junkyards and swapmeets and craigslist ofcoarse and good luck

Old 04-19-2010, 06:57 PM
Diesel Wrench

thanks man, that defenetly was good luck on your part. i miss my 12valve wish i never sold it to my girlfriends brother, i see the truck every day but its no longer my toy...cant have um all. someday i will get another one

Old 05-05-2010, 02:55 PM
Diesel Wrench

thanks man, that defenetly was good luck on your part. i miss my 12valve wish i never sold it to my girlfriends brother, i see the truck every day but its no longer my toy...cant have um all. someday i will get another one
any luck on finding seats yet

Quick Reply: brick seats