5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

Lamp Out And Very Frustrated

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 09:58 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 169 Likes on 150 Posts
Default Lamp Out And Very Frustrated

Okay, so pops tells me the lamp out light came on. No biggie, check whats not working(right brake light) so we get some new bulbs. I finally figure out how to change the durned thing. Still doesn't work. So I get to checking...the tailights work (middle bulb, same as brake lights) and the old bulb wasn't blown. So what could be causing this damned thing to not work. I'm glad my first gen isn't like this. I understand the wiring schematic for mine. "give: Please help a poor first genner stuck in a 3rd gen world (he's an old hippie who don't know what to do. Should he hang on to the old, should he grab on to the new? )

Old 09-07-2007, 11:00 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 492 Likes on 383 Posts
Old 09-07-2007, 11:29 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 2001shrtbedcummins
Okay, so pops tells me the lamp out light came on. No biggie, check whats not working(right brake light) so we get some new bulbs. I finally figure out how to change the durned thing. Still doesn't work. So I get to checking...the tailights work (middle bulb, same as brake lights) and the old bulb wasn't blown. So what could be causing this damned thing to not work. I'm glad my first gen isn't like this. I understand the wiring schematic for mine. "give: Please help a poor first genner stuck in a 3rd gen world (he's an old hippie who don't know what to do. Should he hang on to the old, should he grab on to the new? )
first thing look at the base of the bulb and see it it looks melted, if it is look in the socket and see if there are burn marks on the contacts in the receptacle.
once they start losing contact with the base they arc and melt the plastic base of the bulb. with mine I bent the contacts in the receptacle so they would make better contact and replaced the bulb and haven't had a lamp out since.

Old 09-08-2007, 07:10 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You will get the lamp out light before the lights actually burn out. I just change them all when that happens and then it all seems fine... On my 03, though, I could tell that it was the middle bulbs on both sides that were starting to melt a bit at the base of the bulb. Some guys even had to change out the whole circuit board that the bulbs plug into. You will be able to tell just by looking at them....

Old 09-08-2007, 08:42 AM
Diesel Bomber

Thanks guys...the thing is...I tried all this, nothing could get the brake light to come on. I could get the middle taillight to come on though.

Old 09-10-2007, 04:27 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Maybe a broken wire somewhere. On my 03 I had a turn signal issue and ended up tapping into the trailer wiring and connecting that to the truck's turn signal wiring going to the taillight assembly. Worked just fine for me...

Old 09-10-2007, 06:09 AM
Diesel Bomber

I'm thinking about doing that...or just running a wire from the left brake light over to the right.

Old 09-10-2007, 07:35 AM
Site Mascot
Received 940 Likes on 701 Posts

the hot is always there its the neg that completes the circuit......check yer connections they may look good but undernieth maybe not

Old 09-10-2007, 11:30 AM
Diesel Bomber

need to figure out how to open up that stupid panel without busting it.