5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

Which wire to power Walbro relay?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 10:13 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Which wire to power Walbro relay?

Some people seem to figure this stuff out so easy.

Looking to install a Walbro lift pump. I think I have the plumbing stuff figured out, and I know I need to run the pump from a relay. Having trouble figuring out where to tap into the present lift pump relay (been looking at fuse box, etc., doesn't seem to be labeled) or wire to switch the new relay. Any help appreciated.

Old 03-07-2010, 10:29 AM
NADM Member
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Kilroy
Some people seem to figure this stuff out so easy.

Looking to install a Walbro lift pump. I think I have the plumbing stuff figured out, and I know I need to run the pump from a relay. Having trouble figuring out where to tap into the present lift pump relay (been looking at fuse box, etc., doesn't seem to be labeled) or wire to switch the new relay. Any help appreciated.
If I remember correctly, the relay power can be tapped on a battery terminal. You'll need to pull the plug off the OEM pump and tap those wires with 2 wires from the relay. The other single wire on the relay goes to the Walbro. Run a wire to ground from the other terminal on the walbro

Old 03-07-2010, 11:22 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by triton
If I remember correctly, the relay power can be tapped on a battery terminal. You'll need to pull the plug off the OEM pump and tap those wires with 2 wires from the relay. The other single wire on the relay goes to the Walbro. Run a wire to ground from the other terminal on the walbro
I was looking at that, but haven't been able to determine which wire is hot. Also, why run both wires to relay? I would think only the hot wire would trigger the relay. One wire has yellow stripe. Would that be hot wire?

Thanks

Old 03-07-2010, 11:34 AM
NADM Member
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

you have 2 wires at the OEM pump from the wire harness. Those control the on/off of the pump when the ignition is on or off. The hot wire from the battery is the voltage to run the pump. When the key is turned on, it sends the signal to the relay to tell the pump to come on. From the relay the voltage is sent to the pump via one wire. The other terminal on the pump gets the ground.

I don't know what relay you have but, I doubt yellow is the hot.