5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

Cat and Muffler Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 03:44 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cat and Muffler Question

Hi guys, all this is new to me.

Just wondering if there is any pros or cons of me removing the Cat and muffler from my vehicle? As to when I start my truck up is smells more like propane then it does diesel, I have a 2006 5.9L 3/4 ton and love it to death.

Yet my pops bought his first diesel also, a 2004 1ton but on his he doesnt have a Cat, just a walker muffler, yet his smells like a diesel. He is getting 27mpg on the HWY with the GT Bully Dog and cold air intake. Mine I'm getting 22mpg and same add ones as my pops???

His motor is the 305hp where mine is the 325hp??? I would think I would get better then him? Or does the Cat make that much of a differnce?

Now if I remove the Muffler, will I screw it up as it would need some back pressure?? Or would the turbo be the back pressure that I would need?

Rob

Old 02-27-2010, 03:53 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

take em off you will notice the diference rite away!!!!!!!!!!! iv had alot of em and thats always the first thing i do! the reason for the smell is probably because your cat is clogged with soot just delete them and be done with it youll be happy you did. low end power will increase alot

Old 02-27-2010, 04:00 PM
Diesel Fan

Ok thanks for the info, I'll be doing that right away.

With the muffler gone will it make the truck louder??

Thanks again for the info.

Rob

Old 02-27-2010, 05:56 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah its gonna be louder but what iv always done is just get a delete pipe and leave it out the back and it wont bother you any other then itll start turnin your fender black since the cat and muffler arent there cloggin up the smoke any more. its not like its gonna blow clouds of it but it will be there a little

Old 02-27-2010, 06:04 PM
Diesel Fan

Thanks, for the info.

Rob

Old 02-28-2010, 10:33 PM
Diesel Fan

Just having a moment here, now what if I take a metal saw to cut the Cat and muffler off, can I leave the pipe like that. Or do I have to add some pipe?? Could I get away with putting a elbow down pipe? Like I see on some of these 10ton trucks???

Rob

Old 03-03-2010, 05:09 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

you could just cut it and put an elbow on it but everything from the elbow back is gonna be black and if you dont want the truck to be loud you could leave the muffler on it and just cut the cat off and it will alot better... on a diesel backpessure isnt really a big deal but yes you do still need a little or your truck will lose a little power (not much at all) but i always liked my trucks loud so i gave up a little power for sound

Old 03-03-2010, 06:27 PM
Diesel Fan

Oh I love loud, my harley, it is well loud.....

Thanks for the info, I'm looking into going with cutting the Cat and muffler and running a pipe all the way back. But some shops around my place here will not do it, as they are a Government shop and they will loose there ticket. So I might sweet talk a family friend in helping me cut and weild some pipe's together.

Old 03-03-2010, 11:58 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

If those shops are that strict what you could do is measure the length of pipe you will need to replace the cat and muffler and ask them if they could cut you a peice of pipe that is that length and flare it on both ends so you can slip it on and just weld it on yourself or get a friend to do it if you don't have acess to a welder... The muffler shop don't have to know what the pipe is goin on and as long as they don't do the mod to your truck they are in the clear so they shouldn't give you and trouble if you go that way

Old 03-04-2010, 12:05 AM
Diesel Fan

Thanks it might be cheaper that way also, one guy wanted $100.00 to cut out the Cat for me.

Rob

Quick Reply: Cat and Muffler Question