5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

Truck Cutting Off And Code P0513

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 06:41 AM
BOMBARDIER

Received 918 Likes on 537 Posts
Default Truck Cutting Off And Code P0513

So Steph called me yesterday, she was driving the 06 and went through a drive thru for lunch. She put the truck in neutral and It cut off. She started it back up and it cut off right away. Then she said it took about a minute to get it started, been fine ever since. This morning I went and hooked the scanner to it. No light on the dash but it pulls up code P0513 - Invalid Skim Key. I assume the two are connected. Thoughts?

Old 02-19-2010, 06:43 AM
BOMBARDIER

Received 667 Likes on 553 Posts

Change the battery in the key fob. If it don't help, probably need to have them reprogrammed to the truck.

The following users liked this post:
RSWORDS (02-19-2010)
Old 02-19-2010, 07:34 AM
BOMBARDIER

Originally Posted by RAM CR 24V
Change the battery in the key fob. If it don't help, probably need to have them reprogrammed to the truck.
Thanks. Didn;t know they had batteries! I know they have the chip in them. I'll give it a shot.

I've never had this problem with my first gen.....

Old 02-20-2010, 05:50 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

The battery should just be for operating the remote functions. (I think it is a CR2013). Its a clam shell cover that just pops apart when pried.
Now this invalid skim key DTC is interesting. I have to assume she was using the proper key? I only ask as I have made a replacement key that I can use to open the door since DC was so smart to now make the remote a part of the key. I don't know how 'close' to the steering column the skim key has to be but I can see it working the truck from a little bit of distance. There is an antenna that surrounds the ignition key switch, just under the fascia cover. It is basically RFID. The antenna powers up the chip and it sends it's signal and code back to the antenna. If the proper key is used, then the truck will run. I set that code in my truck by trying out the new duplicate key. That is how I found out I have that security device......
Let us know if you find out anything on this. I have been a little over protective of my key/remote. I tell the family if they are out somewhere and break that chip, then they will wind up walking back. Since I don't see mine as a theft target I would have liked to have forgone that little option!

Old 02-20-2010, 01:36 PM
BOMBARDIER
Received 1,322 Likes on 1,071 Posts

Get this fixed?

Old 02-22-2010, 08:19 PM
BOMBARDIER

Talked to a Dodge tech buddy... Thinking Steph has a bad key, not had any issues since so we I'll keep driving it till it goes out all the way. Then if my key works we know thats it. If not ithe teh sensor that picks up the signal. At $100-$175 for a key I'm not gonna buy one unless I know thats what it is.

Old 02-22-2010, 08:27 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

do you have a remote start on the truck??

Old 02-22-2010, 08:41 PM
Bombardier
Received 607 Likes on 502 Posts

it sounds to me like it is a fuel problem so i'd start with putting in twin CP3's, then some new nozzles and an AirDog II, if not fuel then it'll be air so then twins and a big ole intercooler, and after that you will need more power to transfer through the tranny so a tripple disc converter and then a little shot of the giggle juice.....

other than that i'd see if you can find a local tuner (IIRC someone like SCT) can do a custom tune to disable the key security thingy (we did on my expedition and it works fine with over the counter keys)..... maybe you can talk to Bob at Smarty and see if they can work something out for you........ 50-100 for a custom tune is cheaper than 175 for a key that might go out in a few years again......

Last edited by Benjamin; 02-22-2010 at 10:56 PM.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:00 PM
BOMBARDIER

Originally Posted by Gerry
do you have a remote start on the truck??
No

Originally Posted by Benjamin
it sounds to me like it is a fuel problem so i'd start with putting in twin CP3's, then some new nozzles and an AirDog II, if not fuel then it'll be air so then twins and a big ole intercooler, and after that you will need more power to transfer through the tranny so a tripple disc converter and then a little shot of the giggle juice.....

other than that i'd see if you can find a local tuner (IIRC someone like SCT) can do a custom tune to disable the key security thingy (we did on my expedition and it works fine with over the counter keys)..... maybe you can talk to Bob at Smarty and see if they can work something out for you........ 50-100 for a custom tune is cheaper than 175 for a key that might go out in a few years again......
Tried the fuel pump idea already buddy...

Old 02-23-2010, 09:05 PM
Bombardier
Received 607 Likes on 502 Posts

just trying to help......

maybe it is the trucks way of saying "Steph, please let me enter a truck pull so i can pull farther than Ashley"