5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

str8 pipein

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 12:23 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JMalone
Yup. And my kitty ran away today... I finally got to see a real black poofie and I LOVED IT!!!

I can't believe I waited so long to, uh, let the cat take it's leave. It made an awesome difference in the sound. I can't keep my foot out of it!!!
Originally Posted by njmaier
straight pipe....the only way to fly
I'm scared of drone!!!
so I have not done it yet..... maybe the resonator on my mega will stop any drone????

Old 03-21-2007, 12:34 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Well, mine drones like a SOB. I have an 03 so I never had a cat/resonator. My straight pipe dumps right under the truck before the rear axle. It is a tad loud but I like it.

Now, before JMalone had her cat cut off today (that just sounds bad...lots o jokes there), she had just taken out the muffler and left the cat/resonator on. I thought it sounded really good from the outside. There was no drone inside either.

Start out with just cutting off the muffler and replacing it with a straight piece. If you don't like it you can just replace it with a different muffler or the stocker. Any exhaust shop should take care of you for pretty cheap to do that. If you want to really cut down on the drone make sure that your exhaust tip extends out from under the body.

Old 03-21-2007, 02:14 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

if you keep the pipe at the rear the drone is not bad at all. in fact you can barely hear it inside the cab.

Old 03-21-2007, 07:32 AM
GRI
Diesel Bomber
Received 135 Likes on 111 Posts

yeah if you go past the axle and make sure you exit it far enough out from the vehicle.
Ive also heard of people tac welding metal rod to the pipe and getting rid of the drone.

I dont have any drone right now.

I believe 04 and up are 4"

I know for a fact that 04.5s have 4"

Old 03-21-2007, 10:26 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by GRI
yeah if you go past the axle and make sure you exit it far enough out from the vehicle.
Ive also heard of people tac welding metal rod to the pipe and getting rid of the drone.

I dont have any drone right now.

I believe 04 and up are 4"

I know for a fact that 04.5s have 4"
I think it's 04.5 and up for a 4" stock. If memory serves the 4" stock started with the 600 series motor.

Old 03-21-2007, 10:28 AM
GRI
Diesel Bomber

that very wel can be and would make sense.

another way to identify if you're looking at a 04 or an 04.5

Old 03-21-2007, 10:37 AM
BOMBARDIER BOMB SHELL & OFFICIAL DB GREETER
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 53 ******
I'm scared of drone!!!
so I have not done it yet..... maybe the resonator on my mega will stop any drone????
I will say there's a tad bit of drone when I have it floored, but just normal driving at lower RPMs it's fine.

I didn't want the drone and was one reason why I was hesitant about cutting the kitty out. But as stated in other posts, if you have the exhaust exiting outside the bottom of the truck you should be fine.

Hope that helps!!!

Old 03-21-2007, 01:50 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Man I don't now guys and gals, I straight piped my 97 and at highway speeds the drone was almost enough to make put the factory set up back on.
Just my 2 cents.

Old 03-21-2007, 11:39 PM
GRI
Diesel Bomber

I just str8 piped my ride.

all I have to say is. DAMN! I didnt think it was going to be that loud. those AEROs sure do dampen the sound. I didnt get a chance to run it all I did was start it up and check for leaks. But I may be putting the one back in. unless It is quiet in the cab. Tee he.

I couldnt even imagine a straight piped 5" exhaust.

Old 03-22-2007, 07:35 AM
GRI
Diesel Bomber

Yeah all I can see is a ticket coming from this one.
Im not even sure if it sounds good or just loud. I think I'l be putting one of my AEROs back on.

but I can tell you what. the turbo spools faster than a MO FO!