5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

48re losing 2nd gear

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 08:56 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 48re losing 2nd gear

I have a 2007 dodge ram 2500 4x4 with the 5.9 and the 48re. Adfe stage 2, full 4" back straight pipe and eventually tstpowermaxcr. It just turmed 79,000 miles. Second gear is reving and if your let off the throttle and get back on it wiill go into third and its fine after that. But all statrs after 1st gear when goes to second is always like this. I brought to tranny shop and they told me i need a new tranny>>? Hmm. What about the selenoid or transducers?? Can I do a band adjustment?? I wanna try and get by a couple more months then ill prbly do a sick rebuild, but for now i have to fix this. Two more months of possible snow. I plow and tow with this beast two. Anyone have any info please let me know....thanks

Old 01-27-2010, 09:42 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 76 Posts

Try adjusting the front band and see where the adjuster is. If you have less than 2 threads above the lock nut there is a problem. It could be the band, it could be the band strut, it could be a leak in the servo. The band can be adjusted from the outside, the rest you will need to drop the pan to do.

Old 01-27-2010, 09:53 PM
Diesel Fan

Im gonna try this weekend. Is the band adjustment pretty easy? What about the new gm style govenor selenoid.?

Old 01-27-2010, 10:06 PM
Diesel Wrench

Originally Posted by redfor78
Im gonna try this weekend. Is the band adjustment pretty easy? What about the new gm style govenor selenoid.?
Its relatively easy to adjust the band. The gov solenoid usually does not affect 2nd gear shifts like that. It a mechanical thing from the sounds of it. If you have shuttle shift, hanging in drive, intermitent loss of OD, thats the gov solenoid.

Old 01-28-2010, 10:56 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mine did the exact, and i mean exactly the same thing, adjusting the band took care of my problem, i don't have the 2 threads sticking out of the locking nut but at least i know it took care of the problem. just go buy the right torque bit to tighten it down and a torque wrench, i don't remember off the top of my head what the torque specs are but it did take care of my 2nd gear issue

Old 01-28-2010, 11:01 AM
Diesel Wrench

Originally Posted by 06MegaCTD
mine did the exact, and i mean exactly the same thing, adjusting the band took care of my problem, i don't have the 2 threads sticking out of the locking nut but at least i know it took care of the problem.
At least you know that the next time you have issues its an R&R to fix it. No consolation on cost but knowledge is power.

Old 01-28-2010, 11:22 AM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor
Received 109 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by 06MegaCTD
i don't remember off the top of my head what the torque specs are but it did take care of my 2nd gear issue
72 in lbs then back off 1 3/4 turns. Trq jam nut to 30 ftlbs.

Like posted, 2nd gear is handled by the front band. Looking at what you have on the truck, you are going to need some transmission upgrades in the near future. Adjust the band, and if that fixes it start saving for a built transmission.

The following users liked this post:
Jeanne O'Neal (05-02-2012)
Old 01-31-2010, 07:27 AM
Diesel Fan

Thanks guys for the help. I adjusted the band and the truck shifts good now. I had a question on how do you increase the line pressure on the valve body on the 48re??

Thank You

Old 01-31-2010, 08:39 AM
Diesel Wrench

Originally Posted by redfor78
Thanks guys for the help. I adjusted the band and the truck shifts good now. I had a question on how do you increase the line pressure on the valve body on the 48re??

Thank You
This is the best picture I have of the location. You can get some adjustment but to get what the trans needs for pressure takes chaning out springs. IIRC, this will be left front corner with the pan off.

Name:  pressureadjustment.jpg
Views: 2617
Size:  24.2 KB

Old 02-06-2010, 03:23 AM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor
Received 109 Likes on 87 Posts

You can adjust the Pressure Regulator, but like cerberus60 said, to do anything substantial you need to change the springs out. IIRC 1 turn is good for 2.5psi. It takes a 3/16" allen wrench that you will have to cut down to adjust with the VB in the transmission. So, If you were to go this way I would go like 2-3 full turns and run it. I may extend your up shift points about 100 rpms. Ideally I would say get a performance Valve Body. We use HTS valve bodies in our transmissions. They shift so great. A shift kit would help you if you feel up to tearing the VB apart yourself.

Quick Reply: 48re losing 2nd gear