5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

Mystery vibration..

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 11:11 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Mystery vibration..

I have a mystery vibration in my truck.. Specs are in my signature. My truck vibrates, almost like a bad u joint, but only when coming to a stop, and pushing the brakes. It seems to be worse when its raining, or the roads are wet. Now, the tires on the truck are pretty low on tread, but not wearing funny in any way. I did just put front brakes on the truck, and I noticed the vibration when I got the truck back from the shop that did the brakes. I took the truck back to them when I noticed the vibration, and they checked EVERYTHING possible and nothing was out of the ordinary, and all the u joints looked good. Any ideas on what it could possibly be? The truck drives great other than that.
Scott

Old 01-27-2010, 12:07 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 111 Likes on 105 Posts

Warped rotor?

Old 01-27-2010, 01:06 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 102 Likes on 94 Posts

look into what kind of rotors they used. some places will buy the "economy" rotors to make them more money when charging you for the good ones.

and if they get the cheap ones, ive seen them be chinese junk out of the box and not balanced or have rotor run out problems and cause that problem.

Old 01-27-2010, 09:46 AM
Diesel Wrench

Thanks fellas.. the truck is going back to them in the next couple days... They can figure it out. It didn't do this before I brought it to them.... I'd hate to think theyd screw me and put the cheap rotors on and charge me for good ones.. I have been friends with the manager of this shop for a while, and I don't THINK he'd do me like that.

Scott

Old 01-29-2010, 11:47 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

I might check for a hung caliper...

Old 01-29-2010, 12:46 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

I think it could also be a tire issue... Or a rotor... Or even a U-joint still...

Old 01-29-2010, 03:04 PM
Diesel Wrench

I took the truck back to them, they checked all u joints, calipers, rotors and everything they could think of. They have come to the conclusion that it must be the tires. They do have SLIGHT cupping, but not THAT much. They did rotate the tires from front to back and back to front when they did the front brakes... I was looking at doing tires soon anyway. I will put tires on it, then if the vibration does not go away, It's going right back to them until they figure it out.

Old 01-30-2010, 09:09 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

i had this same issue. I did a brake job then rotated tires. I figured the back tires would run true because they dont get the heavy side wear from steering and all 4 tires were at the end of their life anyway. Drove the truck and noticed a loping whine when i would stop sounded like a tire issue but i could feel it in the peddle. Re-traced through the brakes and just got pissed off. Dealt with it for another month and a half then put tires on it and the vibration vanished.

Old 02-16-2010, 09:51 PM
roy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would almost bet the rotors are warped. I have seen top brands be warprd out of the box. If you had new ones put on, didnt see it posted. The only best way to make sure the rotors are straight is for them to be turned with an on car lathe. Also, if they didnt torqe lug nuts, that could be your corprate too.I have done brakes and front ends for the last 18 years. hope I helped you out

Old 02-17-2010, 03:48 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought my U joints were still good ......

Then I changed them.....

Quick Reply: Mystery vibration..