5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

Battery Cables?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 11:10 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Battery Cables?

I have a question. I got two codes the other day. Both have to do with the electrical some how.

They are P0514 and P2509.

My batteries look brand new and im going to have them tested but if the batteries are good it could be the cables or the battery temperature sensor. So my question is, can I make my own battery cables? If so how hard is it and is there any special tools I would need for the job? Is there a special wiring I need? Does anyone know what gauge or size? I called the dealer and they want $360 for a whole new set and im not inclined to pay that much for something that I could make. Thanks for all the help in advance!

Old 01-15-2010, 07:27 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 108 Likes on 106 Posts

You can make your own, but it does require some special tools. I ended up getting mine from here:
Dodge Battery Cables from CustomBatteryCables.com
Very high quality, and well worth my money for the time saved not fighting with them (considerably cheaper than the dealer...).
Good luck!

Old 01-15-2010, 09:52 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 111 Likes on 105 Posts

That's a good place to get them! BUT first try cleaning the terminals and reinstalling. Clear codes and see If your in a cold place don't even worry about it the computer doesn't like cold!

Old 01-15-2010, 10:05 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

I did clean the terminals and reconnected everything. After the reset the check engine light came right back on and the same two codes popped up. I am wondering if the cables are breaking or something. I could take them off and see if I hear any arcing inside but im going to have the batteries tested first just to make sure.

Old 01-16-2010, 08:40 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 111 Likes on 105 Posts

Yeah load test the batt's. Check the ground wire on the block and frame. Your not gonna hear anything unless your positive cable is rubbed thru and grounding out so don't bother doing the wiggle test. It's a simple stupid problem just have to find it!

Old 01-16-2010, 09:54 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 108 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by tdiezel
I did clean the terminals and reconnected everything. After the reset the check engine light came right back on and the same two codes popped up. I am wondering if the cables are breaking or something. I could take them off and see if I hear any arcing inside but im going to have the batteries tested first just to make sure.
It's not uncommon for the cables to be corroded on the inside of the sheathing. A resistance check will let you know if there are issues, or a load test would be even better.

Old 01-16-2010, 11:43 AM
BOMBARDIER
Received 1,322 Likes on 1,071 Posts

You can definitely build your own cables - that site above has all the parts you need including the proper lengths of the cables (I believe). I would go with the ring terminals and the military style clamps. I used 2/0 welding cable which is a very big and heavy cable.

I will post up some pics when I can find them.

Last edited by Dr. Evil; 01-17-2010 at 12:46 AM.
Old 01-16-2010, 10:50 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dangerous1965
Yeah load test the batt's. Check the ground wire on the block and frame. Your not gonna hear anything unless your positive cable is rubbed thru and grounding out so don't bother doing the wiggle test. It's a simple stupid problem just have to find it!
So in a sense its more than likely the negative ground cables before the positive ones?

Originally Posted by mishkaya
It's not uncommon for the cables to be corroded on the inside of the sheathing. A resistance check will let you know if there are issues, or a load test would be even better.
As for the cables, visually they are in good shape and almost look brand new and I can't see any corrosion but that doesn't mean its not there.

Originally Posted by Dr. Evil
You can definitely build your own cables - that site above has all the part you need including the proper lengths of the cables (I believe). I would go with the ring terminals and the military style clamps. I used 2/0 welding cable which is a very big and heavy cable.

I will post up some pics when I can find them.
Thanks Doc I appreciate it. I would just have to find out where to get the cable and make sure I get the correct clamps and such.

Old 01-17-2010, 12:05 AM
BOMBARDIER
Received 1,322 Likes on 1,071 Posts

You can get the 2/0 (pronounced two ought) from a welding place or industrial supply place - you will have to do some shopping around as price varies widely. custombatterycables.com has all if the ring terminals youll need. You may have to beg, steal, rent, or borrow a proper crimper to crimp the ring terminals on. Of course, you will need a short chunk (14" is a guess) of smaller cable (Id say #2 or #1) and the appropriate ring terminals to go from the drivers side battery to the PDC. (Youll have to check on the length - as I am not very familiar with third gens)

This job would be a whole lot easier if these rigs just had 1 battery. You have have any questions, id be more than happy to try to answer them - or get an answer for you.

Ill look for some pics right now...

Last edited by Dr. Evil; 01-17-2010 at 12:27 AM.
Old 01-17-2010, 12:13 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i had the p0514 code pop up on me too and i found my neg cable wasnt on (gotta love the dealerships work)

Quick Reply: Battery Cables?