5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

belt issues...

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2009, 04:35 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default belt issues...

so i replaced the old serpentine belt about 10 months ago, and now the new one is finally acting the same as the last one. it never wears the belt out, just puts a "glaze" on it, and it starts squeeking. it always squeeks when i shut the motor off, now its starting to squeek while running. when i replace the belt, it doesnt squeek ever, until it wears it out alittle, and than it starts doing it again. i dont think its bearings anywhere, but i cant figure it out. any ideas? thanks alot!

Old 11-26-2009, 05:10 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 347 Likes on 309 Posts

I had the same problem and spent a lot of money on belts, tensioner,ect... Finally bought a goodyear gator back and its been almost a year and no squeek.I have also heard that the delco brand works well.The gates belt was the worst.

Old 11-26-2009, 05:23 PM
Diesel Fan

really? so in your case it was just the belt? got a nice belt, and no more issues? i was starting to think the spring on the tenioner wasnt that great anymore, and once the new belt would stretch ( like all belts do to wear in) it would start squeeking again. so thought it must be the tenioner. doesnt sound like a bearing at all so i dont know what else it could be but the tensioner

Old 11-26-2009, 05:41 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 347 Likes on 309 Posts

Yes i would try that belt first. I even had new belts after 100 miles start squeeling
(especially durring damp conditions).Just cheap poor rubber i guess.To give you a little more info I also replaced the water pump,A/C compressor,Alternator, tensioner, clutch fan,I was getting ready to replace the crank pulley.I went in to an autozone of all places (I try to avoid) and ask what kind of belts they had. I put that Goodyear Gatorback on and it fixed the squeek. kinda got mad becuase I spent all that money just cause of a poorly constructed "new" belts. well at least the accessorys are new now

Old 11-26-2009, 05:50 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You can try a couple of different things to keep from buying new ones. I had a car that was hard on belts, and at $30 ever 6 months it gets old. Not to mention the f*&k'n headache of replacing the belt.

I have done both of these.

#1 - take one of those small new (dry) bar soaps from one of the hotels (the cheaper the soap the better), and let it rub on the belt as it turns at idle. Do this to both sides.

#2 - This one takes more patience. Take either a scotch brite or small piece of 200+ grit sandpaper and go over the belt while the truck is at idle. Start with the flat side. if the squeak goes away, it is from the flat pulleys. If that does not fix the problem, do the grooved side. If this corrects the problem, you may need to clean the grooved pulleys, or the belt is made of a soft material that is wearing too fast. and causing insufficient contact area on the belt.

If neither of these works, look at the grooved pulleys. If the top of the pulleys are shiney, the belt is made from a soft material that is wearing excessively. I have had good luck with the gates belts and the goodyear. Next one will be a gatorback. Just like the name. Also like the idea that it is crosscut to allow for flexing.

Old 11-26-2009, 08:04 PM
Diesel Fan

wow, that sounds great, ill give it a try. that should help me determine whether it is the smooth side giving me issues, or the ribbed side. thanks alot for all your info guys, really helps alot.

Old 11-26-2009, 08:19 PM
Administrator

Received 340 Likes on 273 Posts

i am using that gator back belt and it is 3 years old now and is still holding strong

The following users liked this post:
Jet A Fuel (11-27-2009)
Old 11-26-2009, 08:39 PM
BOMBARDIER
Received 240 Likes on 192 Posts

hey jlawles2 just curious if you have all of your fingers left you said it took practice

Jet A Fuel (11-27-2009)
Old 11-26-2009, 09:27 PM
BOMBARDIER
Received 1,322 Likes on 1,071 Posts

My gatorback is at least 4 years old and it got rid of the chirp too.

Jet A Fuel (11-27-2009)
Old 11-26-2009, 11:36 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have had the stock one for almost 110,000 miles now and still no cracks or heat wear Don't know how that happens but don't fix what ain't broke.

Gates is supposed to be "the" best belt out there. That is what NAPA carries. Goodyear is not a bad choice either. Stay away from the off brand belts.

Quick Reply: belt issues...