5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

Transfer Case Blues

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 06:39 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 140 Likes on 106 Posts
Default Transfer Case Blues

Last night a buddy was driving my pickup and I was a bit inebriated and wanted to show what the pickup had for *****, anyway 38" tires and 25psi 4wd boosted launch didn't end well once we hit 50mph blew out the center ball in the the front drive shaft and mildly cracked the transfer case, I was just wondering if anyone has put an atlas or gear driven transfer case in place of the NP 271D that is in my pickup now, or does anyone know of a company that builds heavier duty transfer cases than the ones that come with the pickups? I'm putting on a transmission/transfer case drop bracket tomorrow and that should help with the vibration but other than that i doubt it'll help to much. Sorry for the book I wrote, and thank you in advance for any help, Oh and it was done on pavement, yes i now realize how bad of an idea this was

Old 10-25-2009, 07:31 PM
Site Mascot
Received 940 Likes on 701 Posts

damn the bad luch eh

go here for the 271.........I like the 271 myself and believe it would be great in our bombed trucks.....they are tough

http://www.transfercases.com/

Old 10-25-2009, 07:31 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You didnt drop the tranny down a couple of inches with the lift? That could be part of your problem. My superlift came with a 1.5in drop and I have no vibration what so ever. Other guys that were too lazy to do it do have vibration problems.

Old 10-25-2009, 10:45 PM
Diesel Bomber

Originally Posted by TXAustin
You didnt drop the tranny down a couple of inches with the lift? That could be part of your problem. My superlift came with a 1.5in drop and I have no vibration what so ever. Other guys that were too lazy to do it do have vibration problems.
I bought the pickup lifted and never bothered to think about a trans drop, i don't think the vibration is bad at all anyway but it is there i guess but i don't know what to do about the whole transfer case situation kinda want to put an Atlas II under it cause that'd be the best of both worlds, Goerend tranny and Atlas transfer case

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

so does anyone have any idea if a gear driven transfer case is a good idea? I can't see the negatives but at the same time if no one has had this problem before the stock ones must be pretty tough and i just had a fluke

Last edited by bobcat67; 10-25-2009 at 10:45 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 10-26-2009, 12:16 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Honestly, I haven't heard of any problems with the stock one either. I am pushing 37s and do plenty of 4wd launches and go mudding enough to pull out friends and never once had a problem putting it into different gears. If the price difference isn't extreme now would be the time to upgrade though!

The vibration probably won't be horrible. Any little vibration will start killing Ujoints and bearings though.

Old 10-26-2009, 12:22 AM
Diesel Bomber

Originally Posted by TXAustin
Honestly, I haven't heard of any problems with the stock one either. I am pushing 37s and do plenty of 4wd launches and go mudding enough to pull out friends and never once had a problem putting it into different gears. If the price difference isn't extreme now would be the time to upgrade though!

The vibration probably won't be horrible. Any little vibration will start killing Ujoints and bearings though.
thank you I don't know what i'm going to end up doing yet, don't really care what has to be done at the moment either, I just want to attempt to make this pickup bullet proof and it seems like I'm finding the drivetrain to be quite a bit weaker than i could've imagined which is why I want to see if an atlas II can work i don't see why it's a bad idea but if it's not going to work I should probably know what too, I'm going to call them in the morning and see what their recommendation is

Old 10-27-2009, 10:58 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bobcat67
thank you I don't know what i'm going to end up doing yet, don't really care what has to be done at the moment either, I just want to attempt to make this pickup bullet proof and it seems like I'm finding the drivetrain to be quite a bit weaker than i could've imagined which is why I want to see if an atlas II can work i don't see why it's a bad idea but if it's not going to work I should probably know what too, I'm going to call them in the morning and see what their recommendation is
I believe the 271/3 is the strongest t-case available right now. I seriously doubt the atlas can handle the torque of a diesel. in your instance it wasn't a t-case weakness that caused the failure.

Old 10-28-2009, 09:39 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 271 is supposed to be the strongest of any stock t case used through the years, even the "bulletproof" 205. Not real sure about the atlas but they do have a good reputation. I am sure they can be adapted, the guys at peterson's have put them in lots of different new model vehicles. Of course they probably have a little better connections and a lot bigger budget useually> Give the guys at atlas a shout and let us know what they say, but there are a lots of sled pullers out there still using the 271 that can attest to its durability. Oh yeah, don't feel so bad about the "need to deminstrate". I have been to do some pretty, um, questionable displays while under the influence!

Last edited by D Gandy; 10-28-2009 at 09:47 AM.
Old 10-28-2009, 01:44 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

Like scrappy said the cause of your failure was a bad Double Cardan Joint not the transfer case. An iron case may have prevented you from cracking the case but it could have also broken something else that would cost you a lot more.

The link whitmore posted is a good place to go. When I destroyed mine(also caused by the double cardan joint failing) I bought both cases and replaced them myself. They are good people to deal with.

Old 11-01-2009, 02:18 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

there is always JB Weld that will hold it together just fine!!!!

Quick Reply: Transfer Case Blues