5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

Injector clatter/Tranny probs

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 01:58 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Injector clatter/Tranny probs

First I've noticed here lately that there is a little more injector clatter than normal. I used to see a little bit of white/grey smoke but I haven't seen any in a while, Just black. Also if I drive it normal I can still feel the power, but if i step on it hard it will act like a dog. what are my fuel pressures supposed to be? cause it seems like it might be a fuel issue. Just change the fuel filter no help. Also if I idle it up in PARK to say 2,000rpms It will kind of be choppy coming back down to idle.
On the tranny, I was wondering were the gov. pressure solenoid was located and would ya'll recommended changing anything else while I was in there? Again thanks to everyone.

Old 10-22-2009, 02:32 PM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor
Received 367 Likes on 251 Posts

Two big issues would be the FCA and the Gov. Pressure Solenoid as you mentioned!
The book calls for at LEAST 560mL of fuel in 10 seconds to the cp3. Its not really a pressure issue, in some cases the pump actully restricts flow to the pump as it fails.
Some folks say no less than 10lbs at WOT.
Do you have a rail pressure gauge? Is the truck hard to start? Any fuel in the oil?
How many miles are on the truck, How often has the fuel filter been changed? What filters been used? Most injection shops are saying at this point you must run a 3Mic filter or lower for the injectors to live a long and happy life We offer the AFE High efficency filter thats a factory drop in 3 Micron.
Some folks also have Rail pressure sensor issues.

Here's some info on the 48RE gov system!
Governor pressure is controlled electronically. Components used for governor pressure control include:
Governor body
Valve body transfer plate
Governor pressure solenoid valve
Governor pressure sensor
Fluid temperature thermistor
Throttle position sensor (TPS)
Transmission speed sensor
Powertrain control module (PCM)

GOVERNOR PRESSURE SOLENOID VALVE
The solenoid valve is a duty-cycle solenoid which regulates the governor pressure needed for upshifts and downshifts. It is an electro-hydraulic device located in the governor body on the valve body transfer plate.

GOVERNOR BODY, TRANSFER PLATE, AND PRESSURE SENSOR
The governor pressure sensor measures output pressure of the governor pressure solenoid valve.

The transfer plate is designed to supply transmission line pressure to the governor pressure solenoid valve and to return governor pressure.

The governor pressure solenoid valve is mounted in the governor body . The body is bolted to the lower side of the transfer plate.

GOVERNOR PRESSURE CURVES
There are four governor pressure curves programmed into the transmission control module. The different curves allow the control module to adjust governor pressure for varying conditions. One curve is used for operation when fluid temperature is at, or below, -1°C (30°F) . A second curve is used when fluid temperature is at, or above, 10°C (50°F) during normal city or highway driving. A third curve is used during wide-open throttle operation. The fourth curve is used when driving with the transfer case in low range.

OPERATION
Compensation is required for performance variations of two of the input devices. Though the slope of the transfer functions is tightly controlled, offset may vary due to various environmental factors or manufacturing tolerances.

The pressure transducer is affected by barometric pressure as well as temperature. Calibration of the zero pressure offset is required to compensate for shifting output due to these factors.

Normal calibration will be performed when sump temperature is above 50 degrees F. or in the absence of sump temperature data, after the first 10 minutes of vehicle operation. Calibration of the pressure transducer offset occurs each time the output shaft speed falls below 200 RPM. Calibration shall be repeated each 3 seconds the output shaft speed is below 200 RPM. A 0.5 second pulse of 95% duty cycle is applied to the governor pressure solenoid valve and the transducer output is read during this pulse. Averaging of the transducer signal is necessary to reject electrical noise.

Under cold conditions (below 50 degrees F sump), the governor pressure solenoid valve response may be too slow to guarantee 0 psi during the 0.5 second calibration pulse. Calibration pulses are continued during this period, however the transducer output valves are discarded. Transducer offset must be read at key-on, under conditions which promote a stable reading. This value is retained and becomes the offset during the "cold" period of operation.

GOVERNOR PRESSURE SOLENOID VALVE
The inlet side of the solenoid valve is exposed to normal transmission line pressure. The outlet side of the valve leads to the valve body governor circuit.

The solenoid valve regulates line pressure to produce governor pressure. The average current supplied to the solenoid controls governor pressure. One amp current produces zero kPa/psi governor pressure. Zero amps sets the maximum governor pressure.

The powertrain control module (PCM) turns on the trans control relay which supplies electrical power to the solenoid valve. Operating voltage is 12 volts (DC). The PCM controls the ground side of the solenoid using the governor pressure solenoid control circuit.

GOVERNOR PRESSURE SENSOR
The sensor output signal provides the necessary feedback to the PCM. This feedback is needed to adequately control governor pressure.

GOVERNOR BODY AND TRANSFER PLATE
The transfer plate channels line pressure to the solenoid valve through the governor body. It also channels governor pressure from the solenoid valve to the governor circuit. It is the solenoid valve that develops the necessary governor pressure.

GOVERNOR PRESSURE CURVES

LOW TRANSMISSION FLUID TEMPERATURE
When the transmission fluid is cold the conventional governor can delay shifts, resulting in higher than normal shift speeds and harsh shifts. The electronically controlled low temperature governor pressure curve is higher than normal to make the transmission shift at normal speeds and sooner. The PCM uses a temperature sensor in the transmission oil sump to determine when low temperature governor pressure is needed.

NORMAL OPERATION
Normal operation is refined through the increased computing power of the PCM and through access to data on engine operating conditions provided by the PCM that were not available with the previous stand-alone electronic module. This facilitated the development of a load adaptive shift strategy - the ability to alter the shift schedule in response to vehicle load condition. One manifestation of this capability is grade "hunting" prevention - the ability of the transmission logic to delay an upshift on a grade if the engine does not have sufficient power to maintain speed in the higher gear. The 3-2 downshift and the potential for hunting between gears occurs with a heavily loaded vehicle or on steep grades. When hunting occurs, it is very objectionable because shifts are frequent and accompanied by large changes in noise and acceleration.

WIDE OPEN THROTTLE OPERATION
In wide-open throttle (WOT) mode, adaptive memory in the PCM assures that up-shifts occur at the preprogrammed optimum speed. WOT operation is determined from the throttle position sensor, which is also a part of the emission control system. The initial setting for the WOT upshift is below the optimum engine speed. As WOT shifts are repeated, the PCM learns the time required to complete the shifts by comparing the engine speed when the shifts occur to the optimum speed. After each shift, the PCM adjusts the shift point until the optimum speed is reached. The PCM also considers vehicle loading, grade and engine performance changes due to high altitude in determining when to make WOT shifts. It does this by measuring vehicle and engine acceleration and then factoring in the shift time.

TRANSFER CASE LOW RANGE OPERATION
On four-wheel drive vehicles operating in low range, the engine can accelerate to its peak more rapidly than in Normal range, resulting in delayed shifts and undesirable engine "flare." The low range governor pressure curve is also higher than normal to initiate upshifts sooner. The PCM compares electronic vehicle speed signal used by the speedometer to the transmission output shaft speed signal to determine when the transfer case is in low range.

Read more: https://www.dieselbombers.com/5-9-li...#ixzz0Uh7k13TK

Old 10-23-2009, 12:31 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The truck has 139,477 miles on it. I do have a rail pressure gauge. It starts great no problems. As far as I can tell there's no fuel in the oil. Question what is "The FCA"? Also would the fact that my tranny is acting up cause any of the power loss that I'm mentioning? Also It's starting to get cold here in Oklahoma and today I tried to used the throttle-up feature by setting the cruise in PARK. Is that relevant? thanks again.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

One more thing, If I leave it running at idle for a bit I can smell a burnt type of smell. I had a fuel leak a while back and I know some of it got on the block, but it should've burnt off by now.

Last edited by MurphyStrut; 10-23-2009 at 12:31 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost