5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

Considering twins

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 01:44 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 117 Likes on 80 Posts
Default Considering twins

Like the title says, I'm thinking of working my way up to compound turbos. Truck is approaching 100,000 miles and I'm still running the stock fuel pumps and injectors. As funds permit, I'm going to upgrade to an AirDog, modify my CP3 and replace the sticks. I don't feel upgrading just the tips is in the cards as we've all heard how unreliable the '03 injectors get at 100,000+ miles. Also not looking at going "big" on the injectors either... just somewhere in the 50 hp range, as I want to preserve my fuel mileage.

My idea of eventually going to a compound setup is stemming from the the fact that with my present fuel and turbo (see sig), the HTB2 seems to be at it's limit with the Hot Juice maxed out. I know a larger single turbo would clear up the smoke at the top end but I don't want a hot, laggy smoke factory at everything below 2500 RPM's, especially when towing.

Am I thinking right when I say my present turbo would make a good "small" turbo and pairing it up with something like a S400 would get me what I'm looking for, or am I way off base? I'm not concerned about max power (it's not a dyno queen), just smooth, clean, reliable power without an abundance of smoke.

Your thoughts???

Also, can head studs be installed without actually removing the head?

Thanx guys (and girls).

Old 10-14-2009, 02:12 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 86 Likes on 52 Posts

i commited to twins about 2 months ago i use my truck for everything drag , towing , i wanna hook it to a sled , basicaly anything you can do with a diesel truck is what i wanna do and twins fit the bill perfect. i am doing what are considered towing twins my stock 35 with a ht3b. i was promised by several people that really know diesel trucks that is the way to go for what i want to do. so i started buying the goods as money allows. alittle here and there is not bad on the pocket and i did not want to charge it..also i would not do your injectors until you make up your mind on what you want to do. injectors and turbos should work together you dont what all the air of twins and no fuel due to small injectors so do em together. and yes you can do head studs without removing the head...just do them 1 at a time.