5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

few questions about the 3rd gens, maybe looking at buying one soon...

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 10:16 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
Default few questions about the 3rd gens, maybe looking at buying one soon...

SO my wife and I are looking to buy a 3rd gen sometime, it may end up being sooner than we thought, depending on what kind of deal we can get from a dealer...reason being we need to use our minivan as a trade in. I've got a second gen, so I'm familiar with the CTD in general, but not overly familiar with the 3rd gens, and their particular quirks.
What I'm looking at is this. 2 or 4 wheel drive, not sure, I'd prefer 4, since I think for the most part 2wd's are useless, but that's just a matter of personal preference, really. We need to get a quad cab, since it will be our family vehicle, and it has to be an automatic, so my wife can drive it...that's why I'm the only driver of my truck!

This is kind of what I was thinking of trying to see if the dealer could find, and just wanted some input. Was looking online at prices, and saw that there were a lot of early 3rd gens, ie 03 and 04 with fairly high mileage-between 150 and 200something thousand, going for around 14-17 grand. With my van, I'm guessing that I'll only get around 4 trade in on it, and I want to try and keep the payments down to a minimum. I don't have any car payments right now, so I don't mind picking one up again, if its for the right vehicle.
Now, going back to the high mileage, I know that's not typical, but I figure with the Cummins, and a commonrail, the mileage between 150-250k, shouldn't be too much of an issue as long as the truck was maintained, and not modded.
I'm also wondering about the tranny? Since it's going to be my wife's driver, and our family vehicle, not looking at doing any mods, other than maybe throwing a bhaf on it, just because, so how reliable are the auto trannys with a stock configuration?
Last question that I can think of asking right now is this: Are aftermarket lift pumps as vital on the common rails as they are on the VP's, in a stock configuration?
Any input you guys have would be appreciated, like I said, thinking about it, and the price is why I was thinking of looking for a high mileage early 3rd gen, but if there's any reasons why you guys would recommend against that, other than normal wear and tear, I'd appreciate your input. Thanks!

Old 10-10-2009, 10:34 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

My wife and I had a similiar srory to yours. We ended up getting a MegaCab for the outrageous room -better than the front - has dvd player on roof and infrared headphones - kids never hear from them -. But as far as you questions - lift pump not as critical but I would suggest a fuel pressure guage for safety. Transmission is stronger than the older version - its rated for 800 ft lbs torque from the factory. Really most people dont realise this - but the weak link on the transmission is the convertor and the valve body. Change those two out and your transmission will last much longer. Also do the bands adjustment - fairly straitforward and easy - and change the fluid before it changes color. Good luck on finding a non modded truck- they soup up so easy and are more fun so everyone does it. When we got my wife's 2006 - stock was good enough - -for a couple weeks and then I couldn't leave it alone. I justified the mods as it would help mileage. Now mileage is much better - 25.2 on interstate at 70 -75mph - and when cranked up will spin all four tires EASILY in 4wd. The 3rd gen are easier to make insane power than the 2nd gens especially when your are starting with 90 horse higher rating. Oh and btw- if you can make sure if 2003 it has the 48re instead of the 47re you will be happier - good luck my friend!

The following users liked this post:
dennhop (10-10-2009)
Old 10-12-2009, 08:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mxtuner1
My wife and I had a similiar srory to yours. We ended up getting a MegaCab for the outrageous room -better than the front - has dvd player on roof and infrared headphones - kids never hear from them -. But as far as you questions - lift pump not as critical but I would suggest a fuel pressure guage for safety. Transmission is stronger than the older version - its rated for 800 ft lbs torque from the factory. Really most people dont realise this - but the weak link on the transmission is the convertor and the valve body. Change those two out and your transmission will last much longer. Also do the bands adjustment - fairly straitforward and easy - and change the fluid before it changes color. Good luck on finding a non modded truck- they soup up so easy and are more fun so everyone does it. When we got my wife's 2006 - stock was good enough - -for a couple weeks and then I couldn't leave it alone. I justified the mods as it would help mileage. Now mileage is much better - 25.2 on interstate at 70 -75mph - and when cranked up will spin all four tires EASILY in 4wd. The 3rd gen are easier to make insane power than the 2nd gens especially when your are starting with 90 horse higher rating. Oh and btw- if you can make sure if 2003 it has the 48re instead of the 47re you will be happier - good luck my friend!
There is no way any common rail especially a megladon gets 25mpg freeway. Look for 17-20mpg from a standard cab or a extended cab @ 65mph with a manual transmission and 3.73s.
Also mine has trouble spinning 1 tire @ anything higher than 3rd gear in 2wd with bald tires (edge juice, exhaust)

Old 10-12-2009, 08:24 PM
BOMBARDIER

Received 667 Likes on 553 Posts

I got 24 with mine with an Edge Juice, intake, and exhaust mods.

mxtuner1 (10-14-2009)
Old 10-12-2009, 08:46 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

my dads 2wd 06 6 speed gets 21 to 27 with 3.73s

mxtuner1 (10-14-2009)
Old 10-12-2009, 09:01 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

My 05 with a couple mods can spin them pretty easy and i got new tires with a lot of grip. mileage is around 17 mpg and it a 6 speed manuel with 3:73

Old 10-14-2009, 12:11 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Boyce- I am not a liar - I have more important things to do then make up stories. You forget that I have propane injection and it really does help with mileage. If you would do a little research you would find there are others in the diesel world that get better mileage than that - look at some of those numbers on the Diesel Power Challenge Mags mileage loop. We here on this site are here to help each other. Calling others basically a liar is not appropriate. Thank you for your testimony Mr. Wildbill. He has the same tuner I do, had almost as good of mileage, did not have a pressure box ( that I could tell)nor propane. Both of which really help. I am sure he uses his Edge when traveling for the timing advance -me too. The pressure box atomizes the fuel better (for mileage again) and helps throttle response. The propane adds fuel on its own which allows one to use less diesel - which again boosts diesel mileage. And my Edge has the + Hot setting that is 160 hp and 350 tq.

Old 10-17-2009, 01:37 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mine is stock other than some synthetic fluids here and there. but at 70 mph on cruising on i70 to st louis to ohio im averaging right at 21 +/- 1mpg. 2006 2500 quad cab long bed 4x4 with 3.73

mxtuner1 (10-23-2009)
Old 10-22-2009, 11:48 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I get 25 highway at 65.

mxtuner1 (10-23-2009)