5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

Transmission Questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 07:54 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Transmission Questions

Hey everybody need some advice. I have a 2005 with the 48RE with just over 71000 miles. I am the second owner of the truck, and I am suffering from the 1-2 shutter shifts. I read how to adjust the bands so I am doing that this weekend. My big question is should I change the transmission fluid not knowing if it has ever been done. The dealership didn't have any information if it have ever been done or not so I don't know. I read on here that if you have more than 60,000 miles you shouldn't change it if it has never been done. Also is this a DIY job or with me not knowing if its been done before should I let a shop do it to flush out all the lines. Any advice would be really helpful. Thanks.

Old 10-09-2009, 08:06 PM
BOMBARDIER

Received 667 Likes on 553 Posts

All you have to do really is drop and clean the pan, replace the filter, reinstall the pan, and add new fluid. One thing is, it's messy draining off the pan, most of the time, you end up wearing the fluid.

Also, the 1-2 shift problem is due to a faulty solenoid. Be sure to get a new one of those also. Do it, and adjust the rear band before you replace the filter and pan.

Old 10-09-2009, 08:11 PM
Diesel Fan

Thanks for the help wildbill. Sounds like your saying that I should do a tranny fluid replacemnt. Is their a specific brand that I should go with or stay away from. Again, thanks for the help, greatly appreciate it!

Old 10-09-2009, 08:16 PM
BOMBARDIER

Received 667 Likes on 553 Posts

Use ATF+4 only. Wal-Mart carries the Mopar (same as Valvoline) for half what the dealer charges. It's a full synthetic, so your good there. I got instructions for band adjustment, solenoid replacement and for the transmission service.

Old 10-09-2009, 08:42 PM
Diesel Fan

Thanks wildbill. If you could send me the instructions for how to do the soleniod and what it is called so i can go buy it that would be awesome. The instructions for the adjustment for the rear band would be great as well. Thanks again.

Old 10-10-2009, 10:00 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Dear Irishman- Whoever started the false rumor about not changing tranny fluid must make money out of replacing transmissions! We are all members on this site to make our trucks better and there is some very good retailers on here that would help you with anything truck related. Changing fluid is really a no brainer! Do it! And put a new filter and adjust the bands while you are in the pan. Main thing to remember - THE TORQUE SETTING ON THE BANDS ARE INCH POUNDS NOT FOOT POUNDS. DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN! And now that I shut off caps lock - you will not be able to change all you fluid in the tranny as there is a checkball in the transmission line to prevent convertor drainback - but you can get the most of it out and it will be a good enough job. It will not take the whole amount of fluid to refill as some stays in lines and maybe cooler - so don't overfill. Remember unless you have an aftermarket transmission, the pump does not circulate oil in Park - so check level after you put it in forward and reverse a couple of times and then check while idling in NEUTRAL. Good luck -the band adjustment is easy too - take your time - DONT OVERTIGHTEN - use inch pounds - and you will love what you have done. If you could afford it - a new valve body really helps the 48re to be a better transmission and makes it last longer and stronger.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Also check the threads on synthetic john deere tractor hydraulic oil in your transmission - I am going to change mine to that soon.

Last edited by mxtuner1; 10-10-2009 at 10:00 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 10-10-2009, 10:46 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 186 Likes on 159 Posts

Here's a link to the TSB to get a new Gv press. soleniod. You should still be under warranty for it:

TSB 21-009-07

Don't let them try to weasle out of it, because they will try. They should re-add new fluid to correctly complete the procedure per Dodge instruction. (keyword "should") If you drop it again and do the filter after you get it home and re-fill once again you'll have pretty close to a good fluid exchange. The problem with pan drop/re-fill is it only gets about a 35% changeout - most of the fluid is still in the converter, lines, and cooler.

Last edited by NadirPoint; 10-10-2009 at 10:49 AM.
Old 10-10-2009, 06:59 PM
Diesel Fan

Thanks for all the help fellas. Checked with the dealer and I'm no longer under warranty for the repair, but they have the solenoid in stock so that helps. The only part that im still a little skeptical about is adjusting the bands, but i'm going to take you guys advice and go slow and INCH POUNDS got it. I really hope this helps cause right now in low rpms the truck feels like it has no power, but once you bring the rpm's to 1800 - 2000 she comes to life.

Old 10-11-2009, 07:46 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 186 Likes on 159 Posts

I thought the powertrain warranty covered that for 100K miles.

Old 10-11-2009, 08:11 AM
Authorized Amsoil Dealer
Received 122 Likes on 95 Posts

I know of two trucks, mine included, that had the same problem but none of this fixed it. Had to actually take to the dealer and have it reflashed. Strange.

Quick Reply: Transmission Questions