5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

?edge juice w/ attitude?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 12:36 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ?edge juice w/ attitude?

I just ordered an edge juice w attitude and am courious as how much I will be able to notice the smoke or the power people say its to have. I have an 05 cummins 6-speed and is it worth it to get the hot unlock code. ??? Thanks for the help.

Old 09-18-2009, 12:44 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 102 Likes on 98 Posts

On an otherwise stock truck you will notice a considerable high end pull without the code. This is assuming you tap the wire anyway.

The trouble is that on a stock clutch you won't be able to do that very long (6 months tops) and you're clutch will be shot. Also, you may want 2 gauges if you play with this for a long time - 1, a fuel pressure gauge and 2, a fuel rail pressure gauge. Both will allow you to monitor those vitals which EDGE does not offer.

Old 09-18-2009, 01:25 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 117 Likes on 80 Posts

You'll still notice a good huff of smoke on the higher settings. Like stated above, without the "hot" unlock, you will still be at your stock clutch's limits, not to mention you're stock turbo's limits as well. With the "hot" unlock on my truck, my stock turbo was hitting 44-45 pounds of boost. While that may sound good, the turbo had to be SERIOUSLY over-sped to crank that much boost. Boost which was actually worthless for making power because the air was blistering hot due to the turbo being flung so far out of it's efficiency range trying to keep up with so much fuel.

Old 09-18-2009, 01:36 PM
Diesel Bomber

I've got an EDGE COMP and the wire is not tapped. I have big injectors and my smarty is on 5 right now but having said that, turn the smarty off and crank the COMP to say 5x5 and hold on. It gets even more interesting if you put it on say 2x5 and crank the smarty on 4 or 6...

Oh and for the record, my clutch doesn't like me much...

Old 09-18-2009, 02:26 PM
Diesel Fan

Sorry to be dense but what do you mean about tap the wire or is that part of the hot code?? Also the only updates I've done is w a KN cold air intake and the exhaust is straight out. I don't pull a lot w it but I was wondering about normal driving conditions is my clutch going to make it long or should I be plannin ahead alittle bit better here?

Last edited by CumminsTurboDiesel; 09-18-2009 at 02:32 PM.
Old 09-18-2009, 03:09 PM
Diesel Bomber

When you get your EDGE and install it to fully appreciate its power you need to tape the pump wire. I've not done it yet so my COMP which is very similar to your Juice acts only as an EZ for the most part.

Taking the stock box, wire tapped yuor clutch is still in trouble if you turn it up. With the HOT code, even more so.

Hope that helps.

Old 09-18-2009, 03:12 PM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor
Received 77 Likes on 71 Posts

tapping the wire is for the vp44 trucks.
the Hot unlock will add about 80HP

you will want a better lift pump if you are going to run higher HP settings.

Old 09-18-2009, 03:17 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by CumminsTurboDiesel
Sorry to be dense but what do you mean about tap the wire or is that part of the hot code?? Also the only updates I've done is w a KN cold air intake and the exhaust is straight out. I don't pull a lot w it but I was wondering about normal driving conditions is my clutch going to make it long or should I be plannin ahead alittle bit better here?
On the VP trucks, the 98.5-02, the Edge Hot equivelant was a wire tapped at the pump. No need to worry about that on a CR truck like yours. Your 05 will do just fine with a Juice on it. The only time it wouldn't is if you added a Edge EZ pressure box on there. That will drain your rail and cause your truck to miss and hesitate without a proper lift pump like a FASS or Airdog, etc. Just the Juice with Attitude though will give you as much smoke as you like and really wake your truck up. In my opinion though the Hot unlock would be a little overkill as on the 04.5-05 it was the stongest of all of the years at a conservative 180 HP addition over stock. Your turbo will not like it nor will your stock clutch. Being you have an 05, there are two scenarios to look out for. They are your intercooler and your tranny. If your truck is an early 05 then you have the best tranny but a plastic tanked intercooler. If you have a late 05 then you have an all metal intercooler but the G56 tranny with the dual mass flywheel which will not hold up at all. What is your shift pattern? If reverse is up and all of the way to the right then you have a NV5600 and your stock clutch will be fine with the Juice in the first 5 levels but the Hot unlock will eventually toast it but you have a plastic tanked intercooler and it will fail. If your reverse is to your leg then you have the G56 and the clutch is probably already begging for mercy in stock form but the good news is your intercooler will hold all day long even with an aftermarket turbo.

Last edited by staarma; 09-18-2009 at 03:19 PM.
Old 09-18-2009, 04:54 PM
Diesel Fan

Think I have an early one cause it the same shift pattern as my 02(to the right and forward). Did your mileage increase much w the "juice" ?? I had an ez on my 02 and didn't really get much more that 2mpg difference. Thanks to all for the pointers on this. Greatly appreciated!

Old 09-18-2009, 05:07 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

It's hard to tell on the MPG. Your foot will get a little heavier with the new found power so it's tough to judge. With my Smarty Jr. and a lot of timing I picked up about 3 MPG over the Juice/EZ stack. I run all three stacked and if I keep my foot out of it I can manage 22 MPG hand calculated running 65 MPH.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Originally Posted by CumminsTurboDiesel
Think I have an early one cause it the same shift pattern as my 02(to the right and forward). Did your mileage increase much w the "juice" ?? I had an ez on my 02 and didn't really get much more that 2mpg difference. Thanks to all for the pointers on this. Greatly appreciated!

BTW, good news on the tranny. Next thing to do is to inspect the tanks on your intercooler for plastic. I just sold my stock one to a guy with an early 05 just like yours for $60 bucks down the road from me. If you have under 100k then the dealer will replace it with a metal one for free if it fails.

Last edited by staarma; 09-18-2009 at 05:07 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost