5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

turbo and injectors

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 09:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turbo and injectors

i have an 07 dodge 5.9 6speed and recently had a turbo and 2 injectors go out so i decided to go all the way and got a silver series 62 turbo from industrial injection and also 90hp dragonflow injectors. ive called them with questions and nobody has an answer but it seems like my turbo isnt spoolin up rite it dnt make much boost till i get to 2500rpm+ but then i need to shift and runnin 70 down the road i can punch it and just cover the road with smoke and not really go anywhere. before my my new parts my smarty and dr. performance would just make it haul a$$ i had way more power runnin just the chips than all the injectors and turbo so here is my question. would my fuel rail pressure be too low since i went to bigger injectors and its not gettin good atomization bc the pressure is not high enouph and since its just smokin its not spoolin my turbo? Would it be somethin like my valves bein a lil off affectin it that much..any help? dodge voided my warranty for an air intake so thats why i decided to go performance instead of stock. i also use my truck everyday as my work truck so i need it to be really reliable..thanks

Old 09-01-2009, 10:02 PM
BOMBARDIER

Received 667 Likes on 553 Posts

Sounds to me that you got way too big a turbo. Meaning it's not matched to the exhaust flow and to the mods. Afraid you might have to get a smaller turbo.

Old 09-01-2009, 10:22 PM

well they said i need allota power to run the turbo but the more i turn the chips up the more smoke im talkin a rediculous amout im also hearin a noise i dnt know how to describe it but could it be my lift pump not supporting all the fuel im tryin to push

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

also when i cut my truck off the turbo stops spinnin really quick within 3 seconds prob is this normal for a dodge bc i compared it to a ford 6.0 and it kept spinnin for awhile

Last edited by Blain; 09-01-2009 at 10:22 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 09-02-2009, 12:25 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 86 Likes on 80 Posts

i believe a stock silver 62 is abit hard to spool until the higher rpm's... as you stated around 2500; guys run it for consistent higher rpm operation like sled pulls... i dont know what kinda of mods you can get for this turbo. if you can get a smaller exhaust housing it may do unbelieveable things for this turbo. as for adding more fuel w/o power... it's a vicious cycle. in order to burn the fuel you need more air to create the increased gasses required to drive the turbo. if your unable to produce those gasses b/c of a lack of air then your never able to spool the turbo which then... creates the air you need and we're back to square one. basically you have a HORIBLE case of turbo lag. look into a smaller exh housing (if it's available i have no idea) but its cheaper than a new turbo

Old 09-02-2009, 09:12 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

That turbo should be fine with injectors and everything else you're running. Sounds to me like you have a serious boost leak somewhere. That causes exactly what you're describing. I have the same trubo you have only from HTT it is a 62/71/13ss and I have stock injectors and I can spool it no problem at all. Now, if you had an Aurora 5000 or the like then I would say you're not getting enough fuel to spool it but that's not the case. Now, do you have an aftermarklet lift pump like an airdog or fass?

The following users liked this post:
mysterync (09-10-2009)
Old 09-02-2009, 12:00 PM
Received 843 Likes on 695 Posts

The Silver 62 is a 62/74/14 so it does take some time to spool. What kind of programmer/box are you running? If your running a big size box and 90hp injectors on a stock lift pump then your probably draining the Fuel Rail. How much boost are you making?

Old 09-02-2009, 12:27 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

Ah, it is a Silver 62 then. Still, with injectors and a pressure box it shouldn't be a problem to spool that 74 wheel at all unless he has the stock lift pump in place. Too many variables unknown right now.

Post up all of the mods on your truck so we can try to help.

Old 09-02-2009, 12:34 PM
Received 843 Likes on 695 Posts

Ya we need to know more info on your truck

Old 09-10-2009, 06:34 PM

ya i have the stock lift pump thats why i was wondering if it would make that big of a difference...and if i need to replace it whats the best way to go??

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

i also have a smarty and a dr performance stacked but i havent been running them bc all it does is smoke

Last edited by Blain; 09-10-2009 at 06:34 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 09-10-2009, 06:45 PM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor
Received 367 Likes on 251 Posts

Lift pump could cause low fuel supply, BUT have you checked your exhaust system for leaks , (from the head to the turbo?) The smarty and 90 horse injectors alone should light that charger very well! You've got a boost leak or exhaust leak. Could also be a bad injector or low supply pressures but I would vote boost leak, Bad map sensor....
did you install the Wastegate fooler that came with the turbo?

Quick Reply: turbo and injectors