5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

help

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 04:55 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default help

i got an 03 cummins with the edge juice with attitute adn once i get to like 1800 to 2000 rpm it blows BLACK smoke it neaver did that before and if u keep ur foot at the same position it acts like its getting alot of fuel untill leave off the pedal it only does it sometimes but somethings not rite any help would be great thanks. mike

Old 08-22-2009, 10:51 PM
Banned
Received 3,297 Likes on 1,640 Posts

send your box back and have edge check it out they wont charge you

Old 08-22-2009, 11:18 PM
Diesel Fan

ok thanks

Old 08-23-2009, 12:46 AM
Received 843 Likes on 695 Posts

Got Any Codes?

Old 08-23-2009, 07:44 PM
Diesel Fan

i will look today the only way i can get them is by turning the key on and off a couple times

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

ok i looked at the codes the first one i got was P2509 i dont know what that means and the next one is P0483 in my haynes repair book it says it is fan speed

Last edited by mikew; 08-23-2009 at 07:44 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-23-2009, 08:49 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

P2509 ECM/PCM Power Input Signal Intermittent
[color=grey][size=-2]
https://www.dieselbombers.com/5-9-li...578-p2509.html

Last edited by dontneedtostroke; 08-23-2009 at 08:50 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-23-2009, 09:13 PM
Diesel Fan

what does that mean

Old 08-23-2009, 09:21 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnny Cetane
The code is low voltage to the ECM. Here's some info: WHEN MONITORED Continuous - key on or key off. SET CONDITION Loss of voltage detected at the ECM for a calibrated amount of time. POSSIBLE CAUSES * Poor connections at the batteries * Low battery voltage * Open fused B+ to ECM * Open ground circuit * Battery + shorted to other circuits * Return circuit shorted * Battery + shorted to ground * Intermittent condition Always perform the Pre-Diagnostic Troubleshooting procedure before proceeding. DIAGNOSTIC TEST 1. POOR CONNECTIONS AT THE BATTERIES Visually inspect the wiring at the battery for damaged wires, or corrosion. Q: Are the connections tight and free of corrosion? YES: Go To 2 NO: Repair the poor connections at the batteries. Perform POWERTRAIN VERIFICATION TEST VER - 1 (DIESEL). See: Verification Tests\Powertrain Verification Test Ver - 1 2. LOW BATTERY VOLTAGE Measure the voltage between the positive and negative posts of the batteries. Q: Is the battery voltages both above 12 volts? YES: Go To 3 NO: Recharge or replace the battery (s). Perform POWERTRAIN VERIFICATION TEST VER - 1 (DIESEL). See: Verification Tests\Powertrain Verification Test Ver - 1 3. OPEN FUSED B+ TO ECM Turn the ignition off. Disconnect the ECM harness connectors. Turn the ignition on. Measure the resistance between the positive battery post and the ECM supply circuits. Q: Is the resistance less than 10 Ohms? YES: Go To 4 NO: Repair the open fused B+ circuit to ECM. Perform POWERTRAIN VERIFICATION TEST VER - 1 (DIESEL). See: Verification Tests\Powertrain Verification Test Ver - 1 4. OPEN GROUND CIRCUIT Measure the resistance between the negative battery post and the ECM ground circuits. Q: Is the resistance less than 10 Ohms? YES: Go To 5 NO: Repair the open ground circuit. Perform POWERTRAIN VERIFICATION TEST VER - 1 (DIESEL). See: Verification Tests\Powertrain Verification Test Ver - 1 5. BATTERY + SHORTED TO OTHER CIRCUITS Measure the resistance between the ECM supply circuits and all other circuits in the ECM harness connector, except other supply circuits. Q: Is the resistance greater than 100k Ohms? YES: Go To 6 NO: Repair the battery circuit short to other circuits in engine harness. Perform POWERTRAIN VERIFICATION TEST VER - 1 (DIESEL). See: Verification Tests\Powertrain Verification Test Ver - 1 6. RETURN CIRCUIT SHORTED Measure the resistance between the ECM return circuits and all other circuits in the ECM harness connector, except other return circuits. Q: Is the resistance greater than 100k Ohms? YES: Go To 7 NO: Repair or replace the engine harness. Perform POWERTRAIN VERIFICATION TEST VER - 1 (DIESEL). See: Verification Tests\Powertrain Verification Test Ver - 1 7. BATTERY + SHORTED TO GROUND Measure the resistance between the ECM B+ supply circuits and ground. Q: Is the resistance greater than 100k Ohms? YES: Refer to the INTERMITTENT CONDITION Symptom (Diagnostic Procedure). See: Initial Inspection and Diagnostic Overview\Diagnostic Strategies NO: Repair Battery + shorted to ground. Perform POWERTRAIN VERIFICATION TEST VER - 1 (DIESEL). See: Verification Tests\Powertrain Verification Test Ver - 1
Read more: https://www.dieselbombers.com/newrep...#ixzz0P3xTY9AG

ok thats hard to read like that, click on the link that i posted it tells you what it means and how to check everything

CLICK HERE

Last edited by dontneedtostroke; 08-23-2009 at 09:21 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-23-2009, 09:32 PM
Diesel Fan

thanks

Old 08-26-2009, 01:48 PM
Diesel Fan

ok i ran the truck today and 15 miles later it started doing it its like its getting too much fuel then it kinda sounds like a backfire and it keeps going back and forth till u leave off the pedal itstarts at about 1800 rpm and will keep doing it all the way up to 3000 and it will jump the rpm up a little bit then come back down. do u think it could be the injectors