5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

best described as a backfire.

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 10:24 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 103 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by tower_ofpower
This is abit lengthy; but i'm giving you just about every detail i can recall from the situation.
The truck is an 03 5.9L with 32000 miles on it. everything is bone stock other than the silencer ring being removed.

so i was makin a trip to VA to help my aunt move. we used one of the farms horsetrailers as a moving van. it wasnt loaded too heavy and this truck has crazy gears in it with the 6 speed... 2200 rpm and your barely pushing above 65mph. so about 4 in the mornin i'm dozing in and out while my aunt is driving. i wake up and not a min or two later she said she has the truck to the floor and no power... but still hangin out at 2000 rpm not gaining not losing... i figured the truck was de-rating itself but i assumed with a de-rate it'd be throwing the check engine light (which it wasn't). i told her to clutch it and see what it did... no load it'd go past 2k but it'd fog like crazy and then "backfire" with a short burst of flame. i know diesels aren't supposed to backfire so this is where i'm gettin abit worried... so we pulled over popped the hood and i did a walk around...the truck idled normally, no high or low idle; no misfire or detonation. no abnormal temps or smells. exhaust is burning clean and no puff under no load throttle. once the truck is idled for abit it seems to clear up the issue. i contributed it to a bad batch of fuelsince we just topped the truck off not too long ago and off we went searching for someplace with a good diesel additive. got some FPPF diesel power additive. it's supposed to disperse water, clean injectors, and lubricate the upper cylinder. haven't had the truck bark on us since. until this afternoon she was commin over to get me at my bro in laws and sisters. she said it had JUST started acting up again... both times that i have driven this truck it doesn't do it for me... i'm beginning to believe that it is an injector problem; but the truck only has 32000 miles on it. i heard the ULSD wasn't friendly to them but i didint think it was that bad.
i have no idea if this was a pre-existing problem or not b/c my cousin runs around with it as her personal vehicle (even though it was supposed to be for towing purposes only) and she wouldn't admit to anything being wrong with it anyways. although the truck did make about 6 hours of a 7 hour drive with no issues. i've read that a common thing that the injectors do on their way out is cause the rpms to hang up before returning to idle. when we first got the truck my dad and i noticed this but figured it had to do with the programming of the computer and something stupid for emission purposes. anyways- i railed it to 3k (as i had read) it took alittle bit to pick up to those rpms and then just at 5 seconds to come back to an idle. (which i had read meant the injectors were laggy) sorry for the book but thanks in advance for any advice. we have to make the trip back up to WV friday night switch trailers and load up the 66 mustang and haul it down here... i need to know if this issue is going to grenade something on the truck... like the turbo... i'm going to service the truck before we make the trip back down and with that service i'm going to do the fuel filter. i was thinking low pressure causing "rail pop" but the truck smokes... i wouldnt think low pressure would cause too much fuel being delivered. the truck idles at about 25 psi... if that tell syou how broken down the oil is. i was supposed to service it before we came down but the truck never sits still long enough fro me to get my hand on it... my cousin did the same thing to my 89 (which used to be my aunts) and i'm playing hell trying to get the thing road legal. once again... sorry for the novel and thanks

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

so i see i'm off to a good start... 17 views and no posts

to much reading thats why

Old 08-21-2009, 07:08 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 86 Likes on 80 Posts

i said i was sorry... given the situation it was kinda hard to keep it short. gotta know just about everything to make a good diagnosis...

Old 08-21-2009, 09:15 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

That's pretty common really for that pancake stock filter to get sucked into the intake. My fuel filter is black every time I replace it which is every 5k miles. Just the way it is. I would probably be changing that air filter a little more regularly though.

Old 08-22-2009, 05:00 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 86 Likes on 80 Posts

well the awesome thing is the filter indicator STILL wasn't in the red... i love how "accurate" those things are... i never go by them anyways. but routine maintenence around that place is just about impossible.