5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

Bosch CP3

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 06:36 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Bosch CP3

I have an early 04 and I am thouroughly convinced that my CP3 has gone bad because of the stock lift pump failing. I put a FASS to replace my stock lift pump and the truck runs but doesn't get very good gas mileage. Plus at the top of 3rd gear my engine lags at about 2800rpm which could be caused by defueling. My question is, should I just buy a new stock Bosch CP3 pump or should I get an upgraded CP3? Also, what would be the reasoning in getting a rebuilt CP3 Pump? Should I just skip the possible problems and just buy new? Thanks for all the help.

Old 08-10-2009, 07:27 PM
BOMBARDIER

Received 667 Likes on 553 Posts

Cheap test, have the service guy hook up a Starscan and check the fuel pressure on the high and low side. That will tell you how much the lift pump and the CP3 is putting out.

Old 08-10-2009, 07:38 PM
Received 843 Likes on 695 Posts

You need to also get some gauges so you know what your truck is doing.

Old 08-10-2009, 11:27 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tdiezel
I have an early 04 and I am thouroughly convinced that my CP3 has gone bad because of the stock lift pump failing. I put a FASS to replace my stock lift pump and the truck runs but doesn't get very good gas mileage. Plus at the top of 3rd gear my engine lags at about 2800rpm which could be caused by defueling. My question is, should I just buy a new stock Bosch CP3 pump or should I get an upgraded CP3? Also, what would be the reasoning in getting a rebuilt CP3 Pump? Should I just skip the possible problems and just buy new? Thanks for all the help.
if i was u (depends on what u want to do), i would buy the upgraded from wicked diesel, dragon slayer or mod. cp3 pump (85%)! but thats just me......no point to buy the stock cp3 just get the mod. pump.

Old 08-11-2009, 05:37 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default info?

Originally Posted by lukesdiesel
You need to also get some gauges so you know what your truck is doing.
Just curious what kind of gauges are you talking about?
I am diagnossing problems with mine, and looking for ways to understand my own system.

Please advise. What gauges may be of good use for myself?

Old 08-11-2009, 11:13 AM
Received 843 Likes on 695 Posts

I would have a EGT, Boost and Rail Pressure Gauge. The Rail Pressure is a great gauge to see how much pressure you CP3 is making.

Old 08-11-2009, 01:43 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Well I have heard that you can push a stock CP3 as far as you want performance wise. If thats true or not im not sure. I really only have the $1000 to spend on the stock but if im going to have to swap it later I could just wait. Can anyone break this down for me a little more?

Old 08-11-2009, 10:24 PM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by veggyoilkid
Just curious what kind of gauges are you talking about?
I am diagnossing problems with mine, and looking for ways to understand my own system.

Please advise. What gauges may be of good use for myself?
for guages i would get egt, tranny, and boost. and get the rp and fp later! look at GLOW SHIFT GUAGES, thats what i got! they work really well and u can get them to b 7 diferent colors at a touch of a button it preety sweet! let me know if i have any questions!

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Well I have heard that you can push a stock CP3 as far as you want performance wise. If thats true or not im not sure. I really only have the $1000 to spend on the stock but if im going to have to swap it later I could just wait. Can anyone break this down for me a little more?
im pretty sure i cant push a stock cp3 as far as u want! but if it works fine right now i would wait and buy a mod. pump. (what do u plan on for hp)? if u want to stay around stock ya go with a stock pump, but if u r going to b around 600+hp u will need a mod. pump!

Last edited by cummins14; 08-11-2009 at 10:24 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-11-2009, 10:48 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Well I want to push more than 500hp for sure and eventually as much as I can without dropping the money on a twin turbo set up. With a smarty and a turbo upgrade im sure I would be getting close if not over 500hp. Then at that point I would start upgrading till I push 600hp. It would probably be in my best interest to just get a modified one even though its a little more expensive just because of my future HP plans.

Old 08-11-2009, 10:59 PM
Diesel Fan

Well I want to push more than 500hp for sure and eventually as much as I can without dropping the money on a twin turbo set up. With a smarty and a turbo upgrade im sure I would be getting close if not over 500hp. Then at that point I would start upgrading till I push 600hp. It would probably be in my best interest to just get a modified one even though its a little more expensive just because of my future HP plans.
ya y would spend the $ twice.....just get the mod. pump! my buddie has an 03 dodge with the same set up as mine but he has a mod. pump and sbs and he is pushing 755hp!

Quick Reply: Bosch CP3