5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

Tranny temp guage

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 08:43 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts
Tranny temp guage

I am going to buy a tranny temp guage. Will i have to tap a hole in the pan?

Thanks fellow bombers

First thread ever posted yes.

Old 03-15-2007, 12:14 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

nope, im trying to remember where i got it from but i got a trans temp sendor.. it just screws into one of the service ports on passenger side of trans right above th pan.. then you just attach a 16 gauge wire from the gauge to the end of this sensor.. ill try to find where i got the sendor from.. i cant remember off the top of my head..

Old 03-15-2007, 05:20 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no but then you have to put it in the side of the tranny.

Alot easier to put it in the pan

Old 03-15-2007, 05:34 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Is that who I think it is Possum?

Old 03-17-2007, 07:14 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

go onto quadzilla website and then look at the commander instructions and it will show were you can put a temp sensor in at.

Old 03-17-2007, 07:15 PM
Diesel Fan
Old 03-19-2007, 07:15 AM
Diesel Fan

Mass Diesel also sells the replacement line that you just replace the tranny line coming from the converter (Hot side). Easy to replace and has a port for the sending unit.

Old 03-19-2007, 02:25 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by bway1341

Thanks fellow bombers

First thread ever posted yes.

Yes, you can tap a hole in the pan but not for the sender unit. Drill and tap a drain for future fluid changes.

To accurately measure the max fluid temp the sending unit needs to be in the cooler output line, ie the front line on the transmission. This is the optimal spot to read fluid temps and will react to spikes quickly so you can modify the gears to limit damage. Most of the later trucks, I think 04+, have a rubber vibration piece in the correct line and you can just cut and tap a fitting in there. If you don't have the rubber line then you can buy the line from different places witha fitting in it or build your own. Genos Garage and others have the rubber line fitting, Mass Disesl, Scheids, and others have the premade line.

CAUTION: Do NOT put the sender in a port on the transmission! This will not read correctly and may cause you to destroy the trans. That port on the back is an accumulator port and contains a piston that can smash the end of the probe. If this happens, you will be unable to remove the probe, possibly destroy the piston and burn up the trans, and in worst case scenario will ruin the case.

Putting the sender in the pan does NOT reflect true temps as it is reading cooled fluid. There can be over 100 degrees difference between destructive fluid temp and pan temp.

Cheers

Old 03-24-2007, 07:24 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

If you want to put a trans temp probe in then use this as its much faster and easier: http://www.dieselmanor.com/dm_products/DM-CLG3.asp

Old 03-24-2007, 10:30 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

i see in your sig that you have a juice/attitude. do you have your tranny temp hooked up on the juice? i know on mine the sender for the monitor goes into a port on the tranny. probably better to get the pre cooler line as mentioned above if you are doing some heavy hauling though.

Quick Reply: Tranny temp guage