5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

Rattle and..........

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 09:24 PM
BOMBARDIER
Received 259 Likes on 201 Posts
Default Rattle and..........

oil level is higher, much higher. I noticed alot of extra clatter, so I checked the oil it was more than the last time I checked it. Changed the oil, and maybe put about 100 miles on it, oil is reproducing and watery, but does not smell like diesel. I think I have a crappy injector or two. What do you guys think. Also if it is, do you think there is a possibility that anything else might have gotten harmed?
Forgot to mention that the rattle comes and goes. So I think it may be a gradual thing.

Old 06-08-2007, 12:36 AM
BOMBARDIER
Received 132 Likes on 111 Posts

Oh poop....that dont sound good at all....What is the warranty situation???

It sure sounds like a crappy injector or more....obviously it isnt antifreeze???

I would sure keep an eye on it (like ya wouldnt)...If the rattle is coming and going it seems to support a bad injector...Have ya noticed any change in mileage or power????

Better its injectors than a head gasket!!

Old 06-08-2007, 07:46 AM
Vegistrokin Bombardier
Received 121 Likes on 77 Posts

If the cummins is like the PSD, an injector that fails and begins to leak internaly will put fuel in the crankcase and in no time, theres an extra several quarts of fluid in the crank case. Contaminating and diluting the oil which makes for very poor lubrication leading to excessive wear and engine failure if not caught soon enough.

Old 06-08-2007, 09:24 AM
BOMBARDIER
Received 1,322 Likes on 1,071 Posts

Originally Posted by CHenry
If the cummins is like the PSD, an injector that fails and begins to leak internaly will put fuel in the crankcase and in no time, theres an extra several quarts of fluid in the crank case. Contaminating and diluting the oil which makes for very poor lubrication leading to excessive wear and engine failure if not caught soon enough.
Same deal with a Cummins....

Whats the oil look like? You should be able to smell the fuel if its in there. Oil look any thinner?

Old 06-08-2007, 09:30 AM
Vegistrokin Bombardier

DON'T drive it another mile, tow it in to have those injectors changed and have the oil changed.

Old 06-08-2007, 09:35 AM
BOMBARDIER

Originally Posted by Dr. Evil
Same deal with a Cummins....

Whats the oil look like? You should be able to smell the fuel if its in there. Oil look any thinner?
Oil is black and thinner, but it does not smell like diesel at all. I am not driving it at all. I will probably have it towed in just to be safe. I am waiting to talk to a buddy who is a service manager and Cummins Tech at a dealership and see what he thinks.

Old 06-08-2007, 12:52 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 169 Likes on 150 Posts

Usually this is caused by a cracked injector. The injector cracks as a result of using a pressure box like an edge ez which raises rail pressure. Just ask don wagner about it. Member ICSmoke had to tow his dad's in for injector replacement because of an ez. but since you don't smell fuel it has me stumped.

Old 06-08-2007, 02:13 PM
Vegistrokin Bombardier

Diesel oil has a smell of its own anyway so it is kinda hard to smell diesel fuel if theres only a few quarts in 4 gallons of oil.

Old 06-08-2007, 02:32 PM
BOMBARDIER

Originally Posted by CHenry
Diesel oil has a smell of its own anyway so it is kinda hard to smell diesel fuel if theres only a few quarts in 4 gallons of oil.

This was my thought. As I said, I don't even have 100 miles on the oil change yet, so it appears to be only about 2 quarts or so too high. Thankfully, I am very meticulous about taking care of the truck and always checking stuff like that.
Thanks for the opinions guys.

Old 06-08-2007, 02:52 PM
Vegistrokin Bombardier

If it was coolant, there would be no question, it has to be fuel and that would mean injectors. Luckily they are alot cheaper as i understand it for your cummins than they are for my PSD. I think 300 each for a 6.0 PSD.

Quick Reply: Rattle and..........