5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

would this work??

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 10:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default would this work??

instead of doing twins, would it be possible to use a BIG centrifugal super charger to spin a hx 60 or larger turbo of that sort? I keep running the set up through my head but I know im over looking something that would make this impractial. Thanks for the info guys.

Old 02-10-2009, 11:17 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

anything is possible finding parts to put it all together will be a challange unless your a very talented fab guy its all time and money. i like the idea

Old 02-10-2009, 11:39 AM
BOMBARDIER
Received 279 Likes on 256 Posts
Old 02-11-2009, 06:59 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

fab it up man they did it back in the day on diesels and know do it to gassers. its compound boost the turbo feeds into the blower or vise versa no one part has to run high boost so you can run the turbo and blower at a reasonable level that would be cooooooooool

Old 02-12-2009, 12:13 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

yup, the old detroit 2 cycles have em (8 and 12 cyls)

Old 02-12-2009, 03:41 PM

Damnit guys you were supposed to shoot me down!!! I know paxton makes some really big chargers, and fabing up mounting brackets would be no prob. Since the supercharger builds boost right off idle there would be little lag, but how would i figure boost levals? Lets say the turbo makes 50 lbs and the super charger makes 25, do i just add the two together and call it 75lbs? that cant be right can it? Is CFM an issue?

Thanks again all

Old 02-13-2009, 06:02 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

well as far as boost goes how are you going to run it turbo feeding the blower or vise versa 50 lbs at the turbo and 25 at the charger would be around 80lbs at the manifold because of the blower would be compounding the turbos boost level. thats using the math from my buddys cobra with twin turbos and a blower it seems that the boost dramticaly increases after the blower. as far as cfm as long as you use the right sized blower turbo set up it should be no problem

Old 02-13-2009, 06:42 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 54 Likes on 37 Posts

I know ya'll mentioned the V8 and V12 two stroke detroits but don't forget the big daddy of em all, there was a V12 AND a V16 they made that was TWIN SUPERCHARGED and TWIN TURBO

Old 02-18-2009, 02:09 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, the 2 cycle DD have an advantage, V-Twin design. That is why they work. I have seen married 12V71s that will make over 3000hp in boats. Supercharged and turbo'd are great, but there is a lot of stuff to check on. The smallest S&T I know of is a 8V71. It has a lot of electrical safety w/ mechanical safety devises. But, I would love to see a Cummins S&T'd... If you have any questions I would bounce them around.

Old 02-18-2009, 07:43 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 188 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by AF1CUMMINS
I know ya'll mentioned the V8 and V12 two stroke detroits but don't forget the big daddy of em all, there was a V12 AND a V16 they made that was TWIN SUPERCHARGED and TWIN TURBO
THEY ARE NOT SUPERCHARGERS!

they are just blowers. a 2 stroke diesel could not run with out one.
a blower has higher tolerance then a super charger.
call BDS blower drive service. ALOT of work is needed to use a 2 stroke blower as a super charger.

Intake begins when the piston is near bottom dead center. Air is admitted to the cylinder through ports in the cylinder wall (there are no intake valves). Since the piston is moving downward at this time, aspiration due to atmospheric pressure isn't possible. Therefore a positive displacement blower is employed to charge the cylinder with air. In the early phase of intake, the air charge is also used to force out any remaining combustion gases from the previous power stroke, a process referred to as scavenging. As the piston passes through bottom dead center, the exhaust valves will be closed and, owing to the pressure generated by the blower or turbocharger, the cylinder will be filled with air. Once the piston starts upward, the air intake ports in the cylinder walls will be covered, sealing the cylinder. At this point, compression will commence. the exhaust and intake actually occur in one stroke, the period during which the piston is near the bottom of the cylinder.

Quick Reply: would this work??