5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection
View Poll Results: TQ Converter Single or Multiple Clutch
Single
20.00%
Multiple
80.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Whats your opinion?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 08:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats your opinion?

Brand new here and first post. I am researching some parts. I have a 4in magnaflow exhaust already. For a start, I was looking at a S&B intake, Smarty Junior, TQ Converter, D-Pricol guages EGT Boost & Tranny Temp. and a Mag Hytech Xmsn Pan DD. I have heard alot of, and read, opinions of. But need more. I wish to have better driveability, gas mileage, and reliability. Somewhere near 450HP and bulletproof.

Old 01-27-2009, 06:30 AM
Banned
Received 3,297 Likes on 1,640 Posts

Laymens ...... As Explained to be by a few industry experts

A Single or Triple TC will hold the same power under the same load the exact same before slipping

If your trucks for Competition then a single would be best for High HP because of less moving parts and your Locked 100% anyway rather its multi or a single

If your a street truck with high HP a triples better because it keeps the pressures up in stop and go situations

You want to throw in the biggest baddest TC there is with the most lock up area thats possible and that uses raybestos , the best repetitive friction material known to man .

Theres alot of tranny experts out there and ive talked to alot of them , this was the laymens from a few years ago when i was digging for info for my truck and called them all , Things may be different now as people with high hp are running 5 disks and such which sort of throws the laymens terms out the window but hey , just letting you know what i know was right at 1 time

1 thing thats often overlooked is how much of an effect injectors alone have on your TC decision , This is Fact and is why ive had 5 sets of injectors in my truck before i found the right set to match my TC and VB set up

The following users liked this post:
helidoc (01-27-2009)
Old 01-27-2009, 05:06 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm still confused. What would be the minimum upgrades to a tranny? I've got a few upgrades, but am relatively easy on my truck.

Old 01-27-2009, 05:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For your Xmsn Motorjock, first would be a TQ Converter, my question was what kind single or multiple clutch, the post from dieselmind states what kind and what material.
Depending on your budget do you do a full replacement which costs alot! I was going with the TQ Conveter first. See how that works then upgrade valve body and xmsn controler if needed. First you need to ask yourself what all are you doing to your truck?
All parts are related to each other as dieselmind is telling us. Hope ive helped, Make a plan!

Old 01-27-2009, 07:22 PM
Received 843 Likes on 695 Posts

Originally Posted by motorjock
I'm still confused. What would be the minimum upgrades to a tranny? I've got a few upgrades, but am relatively easy on my truck.

Depending on the mileage of your stock transmission you could get away with a Upgraded Valve Body, Torque Converter and a Maghytech Transmission Pan.

Heat is the #1 Killer of an auto transmission. This is why I suggest a trans pan.

Luke

DG527 (02-02-2009)
Old 01-27-2009, 08:17 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 157 Likes on 142 Posts

don't forget the input shaft ... depending on your power and your over all goals not to mention boosted launches

Old 01-27-2009, 09:32 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 106 Likes on 75 Posts

I run a Multiple. But I also recomend atleast a billet input. Some people can get away without a Interum or output shaft not me

Old 01-27-2009, 11:24 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A good trans has more to do with the build than the sum of parts.
A TC clutch is only as strong as the line pressure to it.
IMO a good VB and single disc converter in a healthy tranny will be more than you need with for the mods you listed, but I don't know what your going to do with it? Contact a proven vendor (Goerends/DTT/HTS, etc) and be honest with your mods and goals and listen to them, you will save money in the long run. Also remember that one size won't fit all.... someone that tows won't necessary need the same stuff that someone who races. Just my $.02

helidoc (02-08-2009)
Old 01-29-2009, 05:58 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

suncoast trans are not too bad $2800 there pretty good but if ur looking for less go shaft converter valvebody and pan my 07 is all stock and it started slipping after 375ish hp