5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

new guy needs help

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 05:16 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new guy needs help

firs off i would like to say great site. found it this weekend ben reading threads since.
i have a 06 dodge , bought it in november and i love it!!!!
i got a juice an additude meeter and cat back exhaust. i didnt see a tun of tire smoking power , and were is my black smoke?
what is my next step? i plan on a air intake , what is the best bang for my buck, what other cheep mods will give me best results? would a turbo back system improve power , and getting rid of the cat? will it hurt my motor, was told it would by a friend .
thanks all for any help

Old 01-12-2009, 05:20 PM
Banned
Received 3,297 Likes on 1,640 Posts

welcome to the site , intake would be a good step ,

Old 01-12-2009, 05:30 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default cat?

I have a 05 and i deleted the cat runs a little bit cooler and i also have a afe stage2 with the dry flow air cleaner that nevers needs oiling just wash out with soap and water.And the afe intake elbow.I would delete your cat it is louder but i feel it runs cooler.Do you have a stick or auto? And the the air intake and elbow were pretty easy to install by yourself.Oh ya a cheap mod to look into would be a boost fooler but you would have to ask someone if the edge juice with additude has boost fooling in it.Or otherwise it should let u spool up better.And as far as smoke goes smoke is un burnt fuel.I did have a quadzilla boost fooler on my truck but i took it off because the smarty jr has boost fooling in it.For the money now i would delete the cat and wait until you get more mods and then go to a 5inch turbo back cause all you need right now is a four inch.Oh ya the air intake and elbow gave me at least 1-2 mpg no matter how i drove.Hope this helps

Old 01-12-2009, 06:55 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Your best bet for cheap mods is to get an intake and to lose the kitty. Also, check the setting on your programmer. The higher the setting, the better the power and smoke. Visit some of the vendors on this site for a swinging deals. I bought a complete exhaust system from Diesel Dawgs Performance thru this site. Great price and superior service. Also, go to the User CP and fill out your signature. Let the rest of us know what you have. Welcome to Diesel Bombers.

Old 01-12-2009, 09:20 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by mesjr
...and were is my black smoke? ...
Black smoke is un-burnt fuel. Yeah it looks very very cool but it raises your EGT's and cruds up injectors everything else.

If you really want smoke the only way is to add fuel.

Adding air by adding a CAI and turbo back exhaust is not going to make black smoke. You have to add a fuel programmer or injectors to get smoke.

But again...it is only un-burnt fuel.

Old 01-12-2009, 09:40 PM
Texas Mafia
Received 44 Likes on 44 Posts

Welcome!! Enjoy the 06 - I love mine!

Old 01-12-2009, 09:49 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 147 Likes on 118 Posts
Old 01-13-2009, 03:57 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

if you want smoke with the edge, you have to go to juice configuration and go to low boost fueling and then go to which ever level you are running the juice on and turn your low boost fueling on level 5. basically just adds more fuel before you build any boost, which creates smoke. I have the juice on my 04.5 and it doesnt smoke that much, not like other trucks that have the same mods as mine. I think i am going to sell the edge and get a smarty, from what i have heard are a lot better for the CRs...

I cut my cat off first and noticed about 2-3 mpg better automatically. Didnt really get that much louder. And then i took my muffler off. It is really loud now (which is what i wanted) but it seems like i lost some top end, which a few people have said they have heard the same thing...

Old 01-13-2009, 04:29 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

truck is an auto. witch is another thing im worried about. guess the cat is going away.
i was looking at the 5'' exhaust but didnt know if that would kill my low end . this is my first real diesel , had a 87 ford with the 6.9 but their is NO compairison. I LOVE THIS TRUCK. ill try to get my profile filled out with a pic of the truck

thanks guys.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Originally Posted by motorjock
Your best bet for cheap mods is to get an intake and to lose the kitty. Also, check the setting on your programmer. The higher the setting, the better the power and smoke. Visit some of the vendors on this site for a swinging deals. I bought a complete exhaust system from Diesel Dawgs Performance thru this site. Great price and superior service. Also, go to the User CP and fill out your signature. Let the rest of us know what you have. Welcome to Diesel Bombers.
got the programmer on level 5 on doth settings .

Last edited by mesjr; 01-13-2009 at 04:29 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 01-13-2009, 04:59 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

WELCOME!!!

I personally would get rid of the edge and buy some gauges and a smarty! Edge runs a tad too hot for my taste on the Cummins. cold air intake and a cat delete!

Quick Reply: new guy needs help