5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

"Door's Open" horn warning

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 09:39 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

just make sure you don't ever take it to the dealer cause they will run a report on it and find it still open (it is a recall, it never closes unless it has been completed) and they will do it without you knowing.

Old 02-14-2009, 09:46 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the seatbelt chime disabled, so it wouldn't go off anyway. I just hate dumb driver alerts. I don't wear a seatbelt while off-roading on the flats and don't want to be reminded that I'm not wearing it.
The horn would drive me nuts though. I'd leave my truck in reverse, hit the ebrake and get out to check alignment while hooking up my trailer and never had a problem.

They sent me a card too and I marked that I had had it performed already. After that they stopped sending me the notice.

Old 02-14-2009, 09:51 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

you should be good to go then. pm me the last 8 of your VIN and I will see if they marked it complete.

Old 02-15-2009, 12:31 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I never heard of the recall on reverse honk feature. Can you explain. I've never taken my truck to the dealer for anything, except the day I bought it. I know when I leave the door open and not in park the horn will honk, I found out the hard way. But I was in drive not reverse.

Old 02-15-2009, 02:13 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Not really a recall. Just an addition for safety. Sometimes when people threw it in park it didnt go all the way in, they get out and the truck backs over them. Sometimes you will have it in park or neutral and it will still honk cause it thinks its in reverse. Never heard of one doin it when in drive

Old 02-20-2009, 01:34 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

SAFETY RECALL TO INSTALL AN OUT-OF-PARK ALARM SYSTEM
Dear: (Name)
This letter is being sent to you in order to address a serious safety concern, and to facilitate the continued safe
operation of your vehicle. DaimlerChrysler Corporation will install an Out-of-Park Alarm System in 2003
through 2005 model year Dodge Ram Heavy Duty Pickup Trucks equipped with an automatic transmission
and a diesel engine.
This software modification will help ensure that you have properly placed the shifter lever fully into the “Park”
position before attempting to exit the vehicle. In the event that the “Park” position is accidentally not
achieved, the alarm system will provide an audible and visual alert to the operator.
The problem is... DaimlerChrysler has determined that, in certain circumstances when a driver has not
placed the shifter lever fully into the “Park” position and leaves the engine running,
the vehicle may unexpectedly move rearward after seeming to be stable. Unintended
rearward movement of a vehicle could injure those in and/or near the vehicle.
As with all vehicles, you should never exit the vehicle while the engine is running and
should always remove the key from the ignition and apply the parking brake before
leaving the vehicle.
What your dealer
will do...
DaimlerChrysler will modify your vehicle (VIN: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) free of charge
(parts and labor). To do this, your dealer will install an Out-of-Park Alarm System in
your vehicle’s computer. The work will take about one hour to complete. However,
additional time may be necessary depending on how dealer appointments are scheduled
and processed.
What you must
do to ensure your
safety...
Simply contact your dealer right away to schedule a service appointment. Remember to
bring this letter with you to your dealer.
If you need
help...
If you have questions or concerns which your dealer is unable to resolve, please contact
DaimlerChrysler at 1-800-853-1403.
Please help us update our records, by filling out the enclosed prepaid postcard, if any of the conditions listed
on the card apply to you or your vehicle. Be sure to print the last eight (8) characters of the VIN
(VVVVVVVV) and notification code E17 on the postcard.
If your dealer fails or is unable to remedy this condition without charge and within a reasonable time, you may
submit a written complaint to the Administrator, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 400 Seventh
Street, S.W., Washington, DC 20590, or call the toll-free Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236
(TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to Safercar.gov.
We're sorry for any inconvenience, but we are sincerely concerned about your safety. Thank you for your
attention to this important matter.
Customer Services Field Operations
DaimlerChrysler Corporation
Notification Code E17
Note to lessors receiving this recall: Federal regulation requires that you forward this recall notice to the lessee within 10 days.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

THIS IS A RECALL

Last edited by cummins tech; 02-20-2009 at 01:34 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 02-20-2009, 01:26 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Mine was done even after I had signed a wavier so it would not be done, and the dealer had been told many times not to flash the truck. However, before the flash I did have my truck slip into reverse when I slammed the door close. Make sure you always set your parking brake. It wasn't fun chasing down and stopping my truck before it met a fence.