5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

"Door's Open" horn warning

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 07:44 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The stealer added that to my 04.5 when they replaced the lift pump with the intank version. I noticed that is powered by an inline fuse holder connected to a relay they installed on the drivers side of the firewall. I pulled the fuse and no more horn when I back up with the door open.

Old 01-23-2009, 11:41 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Does this only affect the auto's. My truck was in the dealer a few months back and the didn't add this as far as I can tell.

Old 01-25-2009, 06:02 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah, if you leave a manual in reverse and get out, you really deserve to be pancaked

Old 01-28-2009, 08:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe I'm missing something, and I haven't tried to find a schematic of the horn circuit, but I'm sure that if the PCM is triggering it there is a horn relay somewhere, why not just wire a switch to disable the relay, or even just cut the connection between it and the PCM, if it checks for the connection you could replace the relay coil with a resistor with the same resistance.

Old 01-31-2009, 09:54 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

yeah this is a recall that dodge came out with. If you request not to have the recall done than some dealers will put in the crysler system that the recall is done and you dont have to worry about it. The horn helay is in the PDC

Old 01-31-2009, 09:59 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

if you already have this recall done, there is NO return. you can however t tap the 2 wires in the seat belt latch together. this grounds the 2 wires together making the ECM think that the seat belt is latched. You will never get another ding ding ding to remind you to latch your seatbelt and you will not get the HONK HONK HONK when the door is open to back up a trailer.

Old 02-14-2009, 01:56 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is a procedure in your manual to disable the seat belt feature, but I've never heard of one for the horn. I would like to know how, I hate that feature.

Old 02-14-2009, 07:42 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts

Can't you guys just learn to back a trailer (Or back up to one) with your mirrors?
It doesn't take THAT much practice to get REALLY good at it.

If your truck is legitamately honking at you because it is not in park, then it would seem that after that happened a couple times, you'd just make sure it's in park and E-brake is on before hopping out.

Additionally, if you are trusting the trans. park pawl alone (Without applying the E-brake)to keep your truck from moving, you are either:

1) A gambler who is winning very little every time, but one day will lose big.

2). Uneducated but about to get educated.

3). Stubborn, and so set in your ways that even if it makes good sense, you rationalize the behavior modification required would be far too painful to endure...

Old 02-14-2009, 08:46 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

or if you are a big gambler you can jumper the wires under the seat that go to the seat belt latch and you will NEVER get a seat belt light or the horn honk when the door is open and not in park.

you CAN NOT disable this feature by any push this button, hold your head to the right and look up, hop on 1 foot for 30 seconds type thing. this was a recall that came out for our "protection". the only way to get it to shut off is to do the above mod. the wires that are for the seat belt latch are only to sense the belt being cliped in which grounds the circuit. you jump the 2 wires together (which grounds the circuit) and be done with it.

OR

Like Wildcat said above.

3). Stubborn, and so set in your ways that even if it makes good sense, you rationalize the behavior modification required would be far too painful to endure...

Old 02-14-2009, 09:33 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm stubborn.

I just never took my truck in for the recall and it's past warranty now so won't be anymore either.

They also wouldn't be able to figure out how to start it. The key doesn't do squat anymore.