5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

Install Thermocoupler or not???

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 01:53 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Install Thermocoupler or not???

Will be getting my juice with attitude in hopefully tomorrow.. My question is, a couple friends of mine that have pulling trucks told me not to put in the thermocoupler.. They said that there isnt big enough hills here in missouri to really need it, and that since it only has 50k on it, that IF something were to happen and i were have to take it in to the stealership, they might bitch about having it installed... So do i leave it out??? or do i install it... I trust them guys, just kind of curious as to if i really really need it installed

Thanks guys

Old 12-17-2008, 01:57 PM
Go RAVENS!!!!!!!!!
Received 229 Likes on 113 Posts

I'd say install it if you do any towing. EGT's can get hot quick with the addition of a programmer.

Old 12-17-2008, 02:03 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

i do a little towing... but i think now that i have a truck that can actually pull something i will probably be using it more, so..

But has anyone had to take their truck in for something that had a thermocoupler installed? did they say anything?

Old 12-17-2008, 02:05 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

Install it. The Juice can get pretty toasty. Their "advice" is just plain stupid. True the dealership will probably not like it if you have warranty work done, however there is a good chance of melting of severely shortening the life of your engine without it. Why take the risk?

If your worried about a warranty wait until it is up before installing anything. When you install aftermarket products you become your own warranty station.

It's not so much the probe itself they have a problem with. Its the fact that since you have no gauges it signifys a programmer of some sort.

Old 12-17-2008, 02:08 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

True i think i would rather take the risk of having to deal with the dealership as opposed to melting something...

Old 12-17-2008, 04:34 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 492 Likes on 383 Posts

I'd install it. You'll be surprised at how toasty things get with a programmer.

If you're worried about what the dealer will do then don't do anything at all. It's a crap shoot today on what they'll cover or what they'll bounce. They're on to us and look for any evidence they can find.

Old 12-17-2008, 05:12 PM
Diesel Fan
Location: "The Peoples Republic of Illinois".....behind enemy lines
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnny Cetane
I'd install it. You'll be surprised at how toasty things get with a programmer.

If you're worried about what the dealer will do then don't do anything at all. It's a crap shoot today on what they'll cover or what they'll bounce. They're on to us and look for any evidence they can find.

Especially with the Edge Juice w/Attitude!!!! I still have the J w/A on my truck, but it's set to stock because I've got the Smarty on now!!! Smarty runs A LOT cooler than the J w/A.....even on the smallest of hills. Come on man, tap the manifold, it ain't difficult.............unless you lack all basic mechanical skills!!!!

Old 12-17-2008, 05:22 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would install it because a lot of dealerships don't honor a warranty if they find out you have a chip anyway. just my 2 cents

Old 12-17-2008, 09:04 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dorkweed
Especially with the Edge Juice w/Attitude!!!! I still have the J w/A on my truck, but it's set to stock because I've got the Smarty on now!!! Smarty runs A LOT cooler than the J w/A.....even on the smallest of hills. Come on man, tap the manifold, it ain't difficult.............unless you lack all basic mechanical skills!!!!

I dont lack basic mechanical skills...... I owned a CHEVY.. Kept me in tune :haha

I guess it doesnt really matter, cause if i have to have warranty work done.. 1 from what i hear, the JwA leaves evidence behind, and I dont have a cat on there and the muffler is coming off this week so... Screw it i will just put it in..

I should have kept looking for a used smarty, but i found the JwA on a good deal, and i like the fact that it has all the guages, so i mind as well use them since that is one of the reasons i bought it...

Whats the best way to put them in, and where on the muffler.. I have heard to let the truck cool, and then start it up letting it idle and then drill it since the exhaust will blow the shavings out.. I dont really like the idea of just using grease on the drill bit.. i would be afriad of shavings still dropping...