5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

Bumper Or Bully Dog Programmer?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 02:45 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bumper Or Bully Dog Programmer?

Howdy ya'll,

Its been a while since i've been back. but in the next coupla days i'm gunna be orderin somethin for my truck. I gotta 06 Dodge 2500, straight pipes, airaid intake system. Pretty much stock stuff but i was wonderin whether I should go with a bully dog triple dog chip/smarty chip or whether i should spend about the same amount on a ranch hand bull nose bumper? get back to me as soon as possible

thanks,
clay

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

[QUOTE=lonestar cummins turbo;211438]Howdy ya'll,

Its been a while since i've been back. but in the next coupla days i'm gunna be orderin somethin for my truck. I gotta 06 Dodge 2500, straight pipes, airaid intake system. Pretty much stock stuff but i was wonderin whether I should go with a bully dog triple dog chip/smarty chip or whether i should spend about the same amount on a ranch hand bull nose bumper? get back to me as soon as possible

thanks,
clay (gig 'em aggs)

Last edited by lonestar cummins turbo; 09-17-2008 at 02:45 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 09-17-2008, 03:00 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 264 Likes on 212 Posts

Clay, either way you go here you will be customizing your truck to make it more your style. If you go offroad alot, like in pastures, or in the woods, or if you have to tow stuff alot with your front bumper, or get towed, you might go with the new Bumper.

On the other hand, if neither of these are NECESSITY, then I would go with either the Edge or the smarty..

Old 09-17-2008, 03:15 PM
BOMBARDIER
Received 279 Likes on 256 Posts

First off KC Cummins never get towed we do the towing , i would deftinately go with a programmer or chip, you cant go wrong with the Smarty so much new software for these its the best on the market IMO

Old 09-17-2008, 03:27 PM
Diesel Bomber

Originally Posted by stkdram55
First off KC Cummins never get towed we do the towing , i would deftinately go with a programmer or chip, you cant go wrong with the Smarty so much new software for these its the best on the market IMO

I just want to clear up, in no way was my comment ment to be saying anything bad about the Cummins.. They are a great motor.

Just wanted to clear that up

Old 09-17-2008, 03:28 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Best, but he needs gauges before smarty. Smarty is not a safe power mod at all. If you want power and still be safe on the truck go with edge. If you just want power and not worried about breaking stuff, go with the Smarty.

Old 09-17-2008, 03:33 PM
BOMBARDIER
Received 279 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by Oilfield_Mafia
I just want to clear up, in no way was my comment ment to be saying anything bad about the Cummins.. They are a great motor.

Just wanted to clear that up

I know and i hope everybody knows that, just having a little fun with ya

Old 09-17-2008, 06:34 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you have a standard, or an auto?

the biggest problem i see with a programmer, is that it'll probably do bad things to your transmission, if its an auto...I have a smarty and gauges..but I wont go above level #3 (sure i'm a bit of a chicken) on the smarty, because i'm not too excited about replacing the trans and torque converter....I have a feeling level 9 would wreck things with one good foot to the floor pull - if you make it that far. 170 hp with revo software, or 230 with the revo tnt is ASKING for trans issue, whereas your bumper - shouldn't do annnnything to wreck parts.

Just my 2 cents man......programmer now, trans (or clutch) soon thereafter...

FWIW, i tried a bully, i bought a smarty...I am happy with the choice i made. IF you go smarty, makes sure you get one with the new PoD (power on demand or whatever they call it) its supposed to be great for getting a few extra mpg.

Hope this helps

Old 09-17-2008, 09:18 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i say go the bumper route.....but thats just me........ isn't that right Oilfield?

Old 09-17-2008, 09:26 PM
Diesel Bomber

Originally Posted by DunesRunner08
i say go the bumper route.....but thats just me........ isn't that right Oilfield?

thats right Bill.. Hey the wife checked the front porch again today, and would ya believe it.. STILL NO NEW IRON BULL BUMPER for me..

Old 09-17-2008, 11:48 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

gee that funny because my wife checked my mailbox and still no check for it.... its funny how that works...LMAO!!!!!!!!......

Quick Reply: Bumper Or Bully Dog Programmer?