5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

Fuel Filter Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 03:07 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Fuel Filter Question

How often do you guys change your stock fuel filters? I took mine in to the dealer the first time, cost about $98 which isn't too bad but I like to do all my maint. myself. How hard is it to change?
Also, I'm changing my oil at 3-4K miles, is that about right or too often?
Trying my first tank with Drew's Brew this week too.

Old 08-29-2008, 03:22 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

I can't pick up a wrench without busting my knuckles, but I do change my fuel filter. The filters I buy direct from the Cummins Store (locally) are about $12.50 and it's a piece of cake.

Someone surely has a DIY on it around here.

Old 08-29-2008, 03:44 PM
BOMBARDIER
Received 259 Likes on 201 Posts

I change mine around every 5-7k miles. As was said, it is very easy to change. All you have to do is unscrew the cap where the fuel filter is. (Located near the firewall on the drivers side) Pull the cap off and the filter will come out at the same time.(This can get a bit messy) Take you new filter and snap it into the cap put your new O ring gasket around the cap and lube it with a little diesel. Simply put the filter back into the canister and retighten the cap. When done just start truck and you are ready to roll. The whole process takes about 7-8 mins.

Forgot to mention it is easiest to remove cap with a 1 1/8 in. socket and ratchet.

Last edited by MRaynor; 08-29-2008 at 03:46 PM. Reason: Added info.
Old 08-29-2008, 11:26 PM
BOMBARDIER
Received 279 Likes on 256 Posts

changin the fuel filter should be easy as stated above, now the oil thing that can be a touchy subject because there are so many differing opinions i personally change mine at a 8-10k mile interval... i know i know people thats alot but i look at it this way, the semi's at work here we change the oil every 12-15k miles and they are running the same exact oil as i do Rottella 15w-40 and i know i dont beat my truck like the drivers abuse these things.

Thats my opinion and i know some people do theirs at like 3k on the dot and to me that is a waste of 50 bucks if ya ask me

Old 08-30-2008, 08:24 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for all the great info. I've got around 9k on my fuel filter so I'm gonna go ahead and change it.

Old 08-30-2008, 09:09 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

people may cringe, but I do the fuel filter every other oil change. I now have half a dozen 2 micron filters that will be used in place of the stock ones for a little added protection.

Old 08-30-2008, 09:16 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 118 Likes on 95 Posts

Fuel filter every 10k or so, oil as needed per oil analysis. I have run 15k on one change and only 3k on others, it all depends on how heavily you are fueling and how your driving habits are.

Old 09-15-2008, 05:11 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Make sure the fuel filter your buying is a 7 Micron rated as required by Cummins back in 2006 as many places still sell the older 10 micron filters. FYI the Baldwin PF 7977 is a 5 micron filter and I can buy them cheaper then a Fleetguard Stratapore.

Here s some info about a few name brand filters. The below info was made possible by a lot of research by ah64id at dieseltruckresource.com.

Current specs, based on TSB 14-007-06 5.9 CR motors require a 7 micron absolute filter. While the TSB only talks about MY06-07 I called several dealerships and asked for fuel filter PN's for older than 06 trucks, all come up with 68001914AA, the new 7-micron absolute filter. So the searching began.

The Fleetguard FS18000E is absolute at 7 microns (96% efficient at 5 microns) but the gasket isn’t ULSD compatible, so use FS19856 (same filter different gasket)...this is the OEM filter. Has a 14 gr. dirt holding capacity

Baldwin PF7977 is nominal at 1-2 microns and absolute at 5 microns, has a 24gr dirt holding capacity.

Donaldson lists P550785 is absolute at 10 microns.

The Wix 33585XE is nominal at 7 microns. Wix 33585 is nominal at 10 microns.

I am sure there are other filters being used but those are the big ones I know of.

Absolute is 98.7% efficiency and nominal is 50% efficiency.

I have also read, but not verified, that Bosch specs a 5-micron filter for the CP3, and that GM now uses a 2-micron filter.

Update:

I currently have a Baldwin 5 micron in my 2005 truck.

I called and talked with Donaldson and they had no clue that the specs had changed, and since the sell the Fleetguard filter with there name on it I would expect to see them carry the newer filter soon. The same is with Amsoil, they had no clue about the change, and were actually specking WIX filters, which appear to be the worst of the bunch... that should be changing.

Old 09-15-2008, 06:19 PM
Site Mascot
Received 940 Likes on 701 Posts

I normally change my fuel filter at 10k but it always seams clean and only a DP of 3psi.......I read pre and post filter by the way....................currently I am at 21k on this filter and will continue to run it till I see a DP of 5 psi

what is this Drew Brew you talk off.............if its adding used motor oil to yer fuel than ya need to change em about every 3k miles

Old 09-16-2008, 05:34 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

I've never changed mine..... I have about 24,k on it now. Reason is I have a large spin on 2 micron back by the tank. It should catch everything before it gets up to the OEM filter.
I just might change it out though and change the 2 micron 'pre-filter' I have. It has a lot of miles on it now.
I would recommend everyone install a 2 micron filter as you can't have too much filtration! The finer we filter our fuel to these systems, the better! Keeping the 5-7 micron dirt out will make them last a lot longer as that is the size that causes all the wear. Give a yell if anyone wants the plans and part numbers to install your own 2 micron setup like mine. I put it back by the tank, under the bed.

Quick Reply: Fuel Filter Question