5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

Tuner

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 10:36 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Tuner

whats a good chip most of you guys recomend?

im loooking at a smarty right now. its going to be my daily driver, but not too heavily modded in the performance department for now. a CAI and exhaust. just wondering what brands are recomended? and is a S&B CAI good? is there better? and how about a good muffler? i was going to stright pipe it to stacks, but i heard the sound would be unbearable. so i heard delete everything but the muffler.

Old 08-08-2008, 11:48 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MMStar923
whats a good chip most of you guys recomend?

im loooking at a smarty right now. its going to be my daily driver, but not too heavily modded in the performance department for now. a CAI and exhaust. just wondering what brands are recomended? and is a S&B CAI good? is there better? and how about a good muffler? i was going to stright pipe it to stacks, but i heard the sound would be unbearable. so i heard delete everything but the muffler.
smarty in my honest opinion is the best programmer, now when you say chip that would be something like an edge that has a box under the hood, and shift on the fly options, but remember your also gonna need gauges to watch things i havre the edge juice with attitude monitor and love it, but im also getting a smarty... and the sounds isnt that bad, but if you want stacks, just take off the muffler, and if you have one leave the cat on, or get an aftermarket high flow cat for diesel's and put on it around where the muffler would be and run the pipes up for stacks, then you would have an aggressive tone, but not too loud...

Old 08-09-2008, 12:32 AM
Diesel Wrench

honestly, im not looking for a race machine or anything. i want the turbo to whistle as well. anyway of achieving this other than removing the silencer? i want turbo sound, good exhaust sound and smoke! and decent power from my tuner. if i can achieve those thing ill be very happy. and i know about the guages. what 3 would you recomend? pyrometer, boost and trans temp?

Old 08-09-2008, 06:15 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

I ordered a low pressure fuel gauge to add to that list as well. That way you know all about your lift pump and fuel filter.
I think you will be very happy with the smarty!

Old 08-09-2008, 10:28 AM
Diesel Wrench

ya ive heard the smarty is a very good tuner, but ive also heard that it can give you bad mpg's and thus being my daily driver i dont want that. but i asked another guy, triton, on my forum, whos site is blackpatchdiesel.com and he told me if anything it will increse my mpgs.

i need some info on exhaust and CAI guys, i think i have the tuner all figured out

Old 08-09-2008, 11:30 AM
Super Moderator
Received 764 Likes on 627 Posts

honestly, im not looking for a race machine or anything. i want the turbo to whistle as well. anyway of achieving this other than removing the silencer? i want turbo sound, good exhaust sound and smoke! and decent power from my tuner. if i can achieve those thing ill be very happy. and i know about the guages. what 3 would you recomend? pyrometer, boost and trans temp?
turbo whistle is very easy to get with a cummins, there's a silencer ring and an intake baffle that can be removed to get more sound out of the turbo

Old 08-10-2008, 07:14 AM
Diesel Wrench

awesome. where exactly is the turbo silencer? i heard it looks like a snap ring/funnel looking thing. and where exactly is the intake baffle? will putting in a CAI get rid of the baffle on the intake or is it something completly different?

Old 08-10-2008, 03:33 PM
Super Moderator
Received 764 Likes on 627 Posts

awesome. where exactly is the turbo silencer? i heard it looks like a snap ring/funnel looking thing. and where exactly is the intake baffle? will putting in a CAI get rid of the baffle on the intake or is it something completly different?

silencer ring: https://www.dieselbombers.com/5-9l-1...tml#post111429

intake baffle is in the intake tubing IIRC but a dodge guy will let u know for sure

Old 08-13-2008, 06:46 PM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor
Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts

I offer a 30 day money back guarantee, you have nothing to lose. Thanks

Old 08-15-2008, 10:56 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For those that like the smarty, does a guy go with a smarty, or smarty JR. I'm not looking for big power, just a lil more kick in the pants with some better fuel economy.

Quick Reply: Tuner