5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

Aftermarket Knowledge

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 06:04 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Aftermarket Knowledge

I have a 2005 dodge ram 2500 4x4 and are looking for 3 different things for it..just needing help to decide....

1)edge prgrammer, bully dog, quad???
2)i want SMOKEEEEE!
3)Turbo timer? I know some programmers come with...

PLEASE HELP WITH MY DECISIONS CAUSE I AM HAVING A DIFFICULT TIME DECIDING....

Old 07-08-2008, 07:15 PM
High Tech Redneck

Received 496 Likes on 397 Posts

Manual or auto? Anything else done to it? And

The following users liked this post:
justinram (07-08-2008)
Old 07-08-2008, 07:16 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Turbo timers are nice, but since you are putting in gauges (you are putting in gauges right?) they are not really mandatory. You would be surprised, it doesn't take that long for the truck to cool back down to 300*. Coast into the driveway, throw it in park, get the mail, throw out the junk, and the truck is ready to be shut off.

As far as smoke, in today's day of 5 bucks a gallon for diesel and EPA crackdowns, optimal fuel burn should be the key. Smoke is just unburnt fuel, all the big black clouds of death are $4.59 a pop. Smoke doesn't always mean hp. You need to be able to push enough air to burn the fuel you are adding to the mixture. Not sure what other mods you have, so I am writing this as if you have none. First - gauges, Second - exhaust, Third - air intake, then I would look at programmers.

Just my .02. Oh yea Welcome!!!!

justinram (07-08-2008)
Old 07-08-2008, 07:34 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 102 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by justinram
I have a 2005 dodge ram 2500 4x4 and are looking for 3 different things for it..just needing help to decide....

1)edge prgrammer, bully dog, quad???
2)i want SMOKEEEEE!
3)Turbo timer? I know some programmers come with...

PLEASE HELP WITH MY DECISIONS CAUSE I AM HAVING A DIFFICULT TIME DECIDING....

Well, first things first - welcome. Next, you don't want smoke unless someone else is paying for your fuel because all that is is unburnt fuel leaving your wallet. A little is cool sometimes but most of the time, not so much.

You will in my opinion be better suited to the EDGE product if you are looking for shift on the fly. Out right power you may want to consider a smarty and the TNT programming but you will need to spend some money to get that to work right. Lastly, turbo timers on Cummins motors are pretty much a waste of money.

So, Cummins upgrading should go in this order:
1. gauges
2. lift pump (FASS, Air Dog, Vulcan, BD, Carter, RACOR and others)
3. fueling mods like a box or programmer
4. cold air intake
5. exhaust
6. injectors
7. turbo (twins is best)
8. stacking boxes and or other enhancements
9. intercooler and or water / methane injection
10. more money...

justinram (07-08-2008)
Old 07-08-2008, 08:49 PM
Diesel Fan

Mods-Straight piped and cold air intake thats it..now i want more power and a little more torque. i really want something i can change fairly easy too when hauling camper and farm equip and then change it back when just cruising the town (not really just wasting fuel too expensive anymore)....

Old 07-08-2008, 08:51 PM
Diesel Bomber

Can you fill out your signature then?

Cheers.

Old 07-08-2008, 08:54 PM
Received 843 Likes on 695 Posts
Old 07-08-2008, 08:54 PM
Diesel Fan

why need gauges if you buy a programmer like the edge or bully dog?? or are you just suggesting if i dont get one with the on the fly action?

Old 07-08-2008, 09:00 PM
Diesel Bomber

Gauges, any kind (although most of us perfer the analogue type) assist you in telling you what is going on.

Under no circumstances would someone like Luke (or any other sponsor) sell you something without letting you know that you really need to have gauges first. On your next PM to him ask him about my list and he will likely agree.

Cheers.

Old 07-09-2008, 12:13 AM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor
Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Do you have an automatic?

I would go with a Quadzilla box and the commander. If you have a stock automatic 100hp will hurt your trans if beat'n properly . If you go with a programmer spend the extra money and get a Smarty. It will less'n your chances of getting popped by the dealership. Unless your planning on going to huge power a turbo would come before the injectors. Your stock injectors can push enough fuel to turn the block into a door stop.

We sell alot of the Quadzilla modules and Commander packages. They work very nice, and wont break the bank. It is adjustable on the fly, and it will defuel when temps get to high.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Knowledge