5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

Air Filter help?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2018, 12:47 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Air Filter help?

Hi. I need some help in choosing a different air filter. I have always used paper filters with no problems at all until now. I moved from the city down to our farm. A great move but, the Mice also loved it. They are getting into my air box, and chewing up the paper filters. I was going to switch to K&N, because they have wire mesh around the cotton fibers, but I did not like that the filter takes up almost the whole space in the filter box. I have read here about guys drilling holes in the sides of the air box to help let in more air, which is something I do not want to do. A friend said to try a Green Filter because they make a flat panel filter with the wire mesh like K&N. Has anyone heard about these filters, is what I would like to know THANKS

Old 05-30-2018, 08:02 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 310 Likes on 299 Posts

Yes, the green filter works rather well. I used one for some time, but later went to a synthetic dry-flow media BHAF. Drilling holes at the bottom of the air box will increase airflow, but that's your choice. The K&N is an ok filter and works pretty good, as long as its not "over-oiled". How about tossing in some "Decon" mouse pellets into your filter box (under the air-filter of course)? That may decrease your mouse issue.

The following users liked this post:
PEKOKITTY (05-31-2018)
Old 05-31-2018, 03:09 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks I will give it a try. I am also going to cut the metal grid off the top of the old filter and use it to help block the air horn where the air intake comes in from the fender. that seem to be where they are getting in the air box. I do not think that will slow down the air flow to much.