5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

Boost Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2017, 06:03 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 11B/11C
What does your RP hold WOT?
Don't have a FP Gauge but when I'm WOT and let off it'l take a second to wind down so I imagine I have good RP. I just ordered a new MAP sensor i think that's the problem. I checked for codes and seen I'm getting overboost codes..at 23psi so I think it' a bad MAP sensor

Old 11-13-2017, 05:05 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by TrustyRusty
That's with a smarty tune on and I was told Smarty will boost fool until the MAF is out of it operating parameters?
You were told wrong, Smarty doesn't fool anything. It will map the boost tables to end of what the MAP sensor will read but that doesn't fool the engine. There are 2 ways you get over boost codes, the reading doesn't exist in the boost table or the WG limit is still on. Smarty should cover up the WG controller error but it won't always turn off the controller.

You probably should update your Smarty and reload it to see if anything changes if the MAP sensor does not work, change the AIT sensor in the TQ tube also as it is part of the MAP calculation. Next step will be to toss the oiled filter and get a good one in there that works and doesn't foul the system.,

Old 11-20-2017, 09:55 PM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by cerberus60
You were told wrong, Smarty doesn't fool anything. It will map the boost tables to end of what the MAP sensor will read but that doesn't fool the engine. There are 2 ways you get over boost codes, the reading doesn't exist in the boost table or the WG limit is still on. Smarty should cover up the WG controller error but it won't always turn off the controller.

You probably should update your Smarty and reload it to see if anything changes if the MAP sensor does not work, change the AIT sensor in the TQ tube also as it is part of the MAP calculation. Next step will be to toss the oiled filter and get a good one in there that works and doesn't foul the system.,

Ok so I just installed a new MAP sensor, checked my AIT sensor (it was spotless and looks fine) and took it for a rip. Now I don't get an overboost code but it STILL only makes 23psi?? I was running SW3 with tq 1, tm 2, rp 2 and wastgate on. So I just put my truck back to stock and I am going to load SW6 on it tomorrow and see if my boost numbers change. I just apdated my smarty to POD REVO like a month ago too.

Old 11-21-2017, 11:26 PM
Diesel Fan

So today I loaded the trunk up with 3000lbs of water in the box and at WOT I could feel it every so slightly cut back.. I seen my boost spike at about 24psi then it quickly dropped off to like 22 then hung there. It feel like a de fuel but wasn't as soon or noticeble as before. And I never got an overboost code after doing that. So now I am thinking maybe I have a weak lift pump??