5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

Dead Pedal on takeoff. Help

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2017, 07:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dead Pedal on takeoff. Help

So I have a 2007 5.9l with a six speed. Pickup is pretty well stock. So occasionally when I take off from a stop, I have a momentary dead pedal and white smoke. If I let off the throttle and restart the takeoff, it goes just fine. Dont really know where to begin, seems to be happening more frequently. Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks.

Old 09-14-2017, 05:27 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

White smoke is an indicator you need injectors to be replaced. What kind of mileage do you have on your set? How often is fuel filter changed?

You can have these balance tested at a shop for an hours labor or less I would imagine. The tolerance should be within 2% of each other.

Old 09-16-2017, 03:34 AM
Default Throttle positioning sensor

I've had this happen several times, its your throttle positioning sensor. Be careful, some times it will also go full throttle on its own too.

Old 09-16-2017, 09:13 AM

Well I've only had the pickup for about a year. I bought it from a dealer and according to them it had new injectors put in with in the previous year.

I did go drive it yesterday again, had my scanner plugged in, and did notice that my rail presssure fluctuates a lot when it happens. Sometime it jumps up 3000 psi, then lowers when it quits doing it and what not. Some times it drops a couple 1000 till it quits doing it.

Old 09-16-2017, 12:58 PM

I've had my 04.5 do that multiple times. Every time it happened, it was the throttle positioning sensor. And DO NOT buy it from the dealership, They screwed me out of over 700 bucks for one. I later found them for less than 100 bucks. Keep in mind, there's no throttle body, the gas pedal sends a signal to add fuel I believe. I had brand new 75 hp injectors and mine did it before and after. Best of luck though.