5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

LED headlights prblm?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2017, 11:29 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LED headlights prblm?

Mrng group.
I put some LED headlight bulbs in my 07 ram 3500.
Yesterday they wrkd fine with no blinking issues, trk off not running.
Get in it today start trk turn on headlights and they blink a few times then go out .
I put the canbus wiring in also.
Anyone know what's up?
I have figured out this much so far.
they only blink when trk is running, and blink really fast then go off altogether?

​​

Old 05-04-2017, 12:02 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

It's due to the led drawing lower voltage- you need a relay/capacitor to help slow down the hyper flashing. I tried led bulbs in my tail lights since I have smoked lenses and had the same issue. Honestly the regular filaments are just as bright - I went back to old school.

Old 05-05-2017, 12:17 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

LEDs or HIDs do not belong in halogen housings. Halogen housings are made for halogen bulbs. If you want better lighting, retrofit them.

Old 07-14-2017, 08:30 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you'll have to wire them directly to the battery thru a relay, and using the light switch on off as a trigger.

Old 07-14-2017, 01:00 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

With tailights its actually the amperage not voltage that causes the rapid flashing, the flasher ciruit is calibrated for a certain current draw, and when it falls out of that range, it "sees" a problem and alerts you by rapid flashing. You should not have that issue with the headlights. Flashing with those would indicate a voltage problem. The LED driver is not liking the voltage it is getting. With cheap LED's, they have a high inrush current, which causes a severe drop in voltage, wiring them directly to the battery like was suggested might work using larger wire and shorter distances to the source, but its odd that they only flash when the truck is running, could be an overvoltage condition, with the driver protecting it's self by shutting down.

Old 07-14-2017, 03:32 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

With newer vehicles, it's possible the headlights are also computer controlled, and are sensing the abnormal current draw, and the computer is causing the malfunction. A capacitor may reduce the inrush, or as others have said a relay. As Mr. Scott says, " The fancier they make the plumbing, the easier it is to stop it up! " LOL!

Old 07-18-2017, 03:09 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

LEDs along with HIDs do not belong in halogen housings, halogen bulbs do. Brighter does not mean better. If you wanna upgrade your headlights then do it the CORRECT way and retrofit your headlights.