5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

Common rail newbie help

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2017, 04:32 AM
Cp3
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Common rail newbie help

Hey guys I bought a 2003 single cab 4x4 with 207.000 on the Clock. Previous owner said the t- case fell off so he replace with a new one, I order a new front driveshaft, have been using fleetguard filters and have changed the fuel filter twice in the last 10.000 miles. Great truck until problems arrived. First the silencer ring was missing so I got a new one and now I get the so called turbo bark, and it worries me I don't know why it started doing this.
Next I wanted to get a t- case support, so I went to Dodge and bought a cross member, skid plate and some bolts, based on Geno's garage web site as I'm planning to get the t-case support that they sell, but looking at the parts I don't think it will work.
Also now the truck seems like it's dragging, it just seems as if something was sticking when I'm trying to go like 60 or so miles an hr. Sometimes I feel like the truck is dragging sometimes it feels more loose and with more power.
I just need an opinion or pointers as I was ready to rebuild the transmission and I was thinking on getting some thuren arms and coils, I just want to know if it's worth keeping the truck or try to sell it and cut my losses.
Thanks for the input

Old 03-26-2017, 07:48 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Congrats on your buy- sorry seems you aren't happy with it! Turbo bark is some what normal in these truck, I have learned to "drive around it" this only happens when there is excessive boost then a rapid drop in boost. Sounds scary but nothing to be too worried about as long as it is not constant. Turbo silencer ring wouldn't help/hurt this as much as driving habits.

I have a support kit under my trans case, I had it done when my trans was rebuilt. Genes is a great source, should be a simple kit with just a couple bolts I believe.

Dragging as in not continuing to roll when you let off the gas?

The following users liked this post:
Cp3 (03-31-2017)
Old 03-26-2017, 08:49 PM
Cp3
Diesel Fan

thanks for your quick reply, I after further reading I found out you are right about too much boost, and how not to get to that, however when the silencer ring was off that so called turbo bark never happened, only after the ring was back on it started doing it.
As far as what I mentioned about the truck feeling dragging, what i meant is sometimes it feels like i have to put more pressure than usual on the accelerator in order to get it to go 65 or more, there seems to be a vibration that goes along with it and the truck seem louder, with more load, I guess is like when in certain trucks the fan gets stuck on all the time, theres is added load on the engine, but my fan been on for like 200 miles seems impossible, today the truck ran like that in the morning but got smoother as the day went by.
any idea on what it could be?

Old 03-27-2017, 10:57 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Cp3
thanks for your quick reply, I after further reading I found out you are right about too much boost, and how not to get to that, however when the silencer ring was off that so called turbo bark never happened, only after the ring was back on it started doing it.
As far as what I mentioned about the truck feeling dragging, what i meant is sometimes it feels like i have to put more pressure than usual on the accelerator in order to get it to go 65 or more, there seems to be a vibration that goes along with it and the truck seem louder, with more load, I guess is like when in certain trucks the fan gets stuck on all the time, theres is added load on the engine, but my fan been on for like 200 miles seems impossible, today the truck ran like that in the morning but got smoother as the day went by.
any idea on what it could be?
yea depending on operating temp the fan clutch will engage and make it roar pretty good. Especially if you are towing or running ac. You can add an aux fan over the ac condenser to help cool while the air is on. Sounds pretty normal though!

Old 03-29-2017, 06:43 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The loss of power, does it occur during a shift into overdrive? IF SO, try your TCC solenoid(torque converter clutch solenoid).

What your tcc does, is regulates power during the shift to overdrive. So that sudden drop is your overdrive gear. I just went through a similar situation. Sometimes it would do it, then later in the day after it's been running it wouldn't as much.

The way I described it was, "my last gear change feels like a Harley shift" its loud, sudden and gets really deep tones.

EDIT: the vibration issue - when was the last time the i joints were changed? I also recent did this. Lots of vibration at around 10-15-20 mph and then it smooths out? I so. Definitely check u joints. See if they were ever replaced. I bought my truck with 250k on the clock and the stock joints made it to 305k.

Last edited by John Burke; 03-29-2017 at 06:45 PM. Reason: More too add.
Cp3 (03-31-2017)
Old 03-29-2017, 10:16 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Originally Posted by John Burke
The loss of power, does it occur during a shift into overdrive? IF SO, try your TCC solenoid(torque converter clutch solenoid).

What your tcc does, is regulates power during the shift to overdrive. So that sudden drop is your overdrive gear. I just went through a similar situation. Sometimes it would do it, then later in the day after it's been running it wouldn't as much.

The way I described it was, "my last gear change feels like a Harley shift" its loud, sudden and gets really deep tones.

EDIT: the vibration issue - when was the last time the i joints were changed? I also recent did this. Lots of vibration at around 10-15-20 mph and then it smooths out? I so. Definitely check u joints. See if they were ever replaced. I bought my truck with 250k on the clock and the stock joints made it to 305k.
the "loss of power" is losing rpm/boost when the converter locks. The roar or drone just depends on the speed being traveled. Usually 55mph-65 may feel a bit slow but once rpms and boost builds it should feel/sound more "normal"

Old 03-31-2017, 12:28 AM
Cp3
Diesel Fan

thanks guys for all your input and suggestions, sometimes people will get mad and say "look on the threads or research" i get it but at the same time old threads are not a "fit all" type thing, so thank you for your replies.
after much consideration, I've decided that instead of doing suspension work, I'm gonna invest some money on on the drivetrain, specifically a rebuild tranny,I can go 3 different routes: I can buy kit from dtt, goerend or suncoast, or order a firepunk tranny for around $2600 or so which is my budget, or I can go to brown's diesel in riverdale ca. which is a authorized goerend dealer and have them build it. I'M just worried that if I buy a kit the shop who ever it will be, won't used my parts and I end up being played or I can buy the kit and the labor and parts together will be just as much or more than a firepunk transmission.
any input?
I'm getting closed to taking the plunged.
p.s. my tranny is leaking now, and I'm also planning to add a smarty programmer just to have the added power, I don't tow or drag race.
THANKS!

Old 03-31-2017, 12:33 AM

If you're worried about if a shop will use your parts or not. Ask them, they say they don't then buy a firepunk or get a friend that can do it.

If if you're going tuner, drivetrain all day first and foremost.

Cp3 (03-31-2017)
Old 03-31-2017, 12:39 AM
Cp3
Diesel Fan

Yes thanks, drivetrain is more important than fancy shocks and springs, as far as "if they will use my parts or not " I meant may be I buy my parts, they say yes bring them and they keep it and use regular oem mopar stuff, that won't hold up, I guess there are reputable shops around but they are hard to find, you always here the horror stories of people not getting what they paid for, like with ats. but we'll see.
thanks.

Old 03-31-2017, 06:52 AM

What's your area? Maybe there's a member on here that can give you some insight.