5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

Diagnose stalling and black smoke at idle

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2016, 07:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diagnose stalling and black smoke at idle

I have a 2003 Ram 3500 5.9 that just had an engine install but having an issue running need help! It is a 4x4 automatic with a 47re transmission. The engine was originally a 305 block with a bullydog. The engine I had installed is a 325 with coated pistons and 12 valve rods for strength. I put a new turbo on it new TDM 80HP injectors with Bosch OEM connecting tubes. I hooked up the bully dog to make sure it is in stock mode only. The truck starts right up but has black smoke at idle and dies after about 3 minutes. In the video it looks like white smoke but its black. I have also attached a video of a data stream from my Actron OBDII just in case that helps. The current codes are (6: Driver Squib Open/ this code was there before the engine install) (25: Left Front Circuit Malfunction) (21: Right Front Circuit Malfunction) (84: Mismatched Vehicle Identification Number) (P0107: Manifold Absolute Pressure Sensor Voltage Low) Things that have been done to test. 1. New lift pump with sump installed and does not lose low fuel pressure. 2. FCA swapped out. 3. Rail pressure sensor swapped out 4. Map sensor swapped out.(the one on the manifold not the IAT sensor on the intake tube by the air filter) 5. Injectors and connector tubes removed and re-torqued according to the ft lb's in service manual.

WILL POST LINKS TO VIDEO WHEN FORUM LETS ME

or you can search Youtube for 2003 Ram 3500 5.9 cummins stalling diagnoses issue HELP

Old 12-24-2016, 09:08 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

The circuits being opened is referring to the abs light on the dash I think from looking at some other posts- have you checked wires, sensors, and fuses? It seems like it is going in limp mode once throttle is applied since it says the vin is not matching. Is it a new TIPM unit as well? I think you may be better off pulling the bully dog and working with a clean computer. Even though you have the programmer set on something they can still cause a headache

Old 12-24-2016, 10:27 PM

Yea I realize that's why the ABS light is on I'm sure I can figure that one out easy. The ABS plug is broke on both the front harness's on the hub. I should be able to just put a new harness on it and plug it in to fix it. I only put it on there in case there happens to be a relationship between that and the stalling/black smoke at idle even though I don't think there is. I haven't even gotten the truck out on the road yet so I don't know if it is in limp mode at all when started. I'm not sure what a TIPM is? Is that another name for PCM or ECM? If so then no I have not replaced it. And I thought hooking the Bulldog up and putting it back to stock is working with a clean computer, that is why I did it?? Is the only way to make it clean is by having it flashed at the dealership??

My issue that I need help on is the stalling and black smoke at idle and I believe that is related to the P0107 code.
I have visually inspected the wiring and fuses but need help on how to do a true test on the wiring via a multi-meter.

Old 12-25-2016, 09:49 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Merry Christmas- you are right you have the Ecm PCM setup on your truck. 06+ is TIPM- I would check the connector tubes and be sure they are seated correctly and torqued to spec. You can try and put the programmer on a different setting if you want to see if the haze is consistent. Did you put injectors in during the build? You will feel them "click" into place then you can torque to spec- if they are torqued correct but not seated then that could be the culprit

Last edited by CumminsCoalRoller24/7; 12-25-2016 at 09:59 AM.
Old 12-27-2016, 12:45 AM

UPDATE Truck was originally a 250HP SO engine not the 305.

MORE DETAILS:
The engine I got was a brand new long block 325 and ONLY long block no sensors, no turbo, no electronics just the block and head. Everything from my truck was transferred to the new block and head including electronics and harness. EXCEPT turbo, injectors, and connecting tubes. I bought an industrial injection turbo specifically for a 2003 and injectors for a 04.5-07 to match the piston bowls in the 325 block.

Old 12-27-2016, 08:57 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 111 Likes on 105 Posts

Black smoke to much fuel your ECM will run whatever it's hooked up to the mismatched numbers are a real issue! Ands the main problem reflash will be needed. Before you do that tho disconnect your main harness check pins also on ecm if you disconnected that!
Why the ecm would throw a bad vin number code is a real concern! Check your grounds be sure they are all connected from ecm especially!