5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

Rebuilt trans! Hp estimate.

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2016, 10:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rebuilt trans! Hp estimate.

I just purchased a 04 cummins with a rebuilt tranny. What level can i safely run my smarty on with the build. It has afe stage 2 intake and 4in straight back exhaust. No other mods yet. Getting a airdog150 soon. Here's the build.

Rebuilt trans with new rear drum, rear piston support, transgo separator plate, billet HD stall, Kevlar front band, GM governor pressure solenoid, transducer and new shift solenoid and tcc. All clutches are raybestos

Old 12-11-2016, 12:37 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

It's not the hp you need to worry about its the torque! Those mods will help but have the TC, flex plate, or input shaft been done? Those are what take the brunt of the Cummins - it's really a crap shoot to guess hp/tq- some trucks will handle it while others won't. Weight has to do with it to- single cab 5k lbs vs mega 8k lbs. if you are using it for dd and just want fun then be smart about where you play- if you want to do boosted launchs or drag the truck on weekends be prepared to overhaul with all parts

Old 12-11-2016, 01:23 PM

Tc has been done but not flex plate, or input shaft. What could I run smarty on safely as a dd maybe putting my foot in it here and there.

Old 12-11-2016, 01:34 PM

Tc has been done but not flex plate, or input shaft. What could I run smarty on safely as a dd maybe putting my foot in it here and there.

Old 12-11-2016, 02:30 PM

Srry bout the double post. Also how much more money would it cost to fully build it and what would I need.

Old 12-11-2016, 02:37 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

No worries- you'll probably be fine around 400-450+ with mild upgrades - there's really no telling when something will give way. Goerend parts are the go to for the 48re- I personally went with a local shop who builds using other parts so I can have their warranty in place (3 year 100k). Still have a tight triple disc- billet shafts- and upgraded valve body/clutches. probably 3-7k if you do triple disc converter with billet shafts. 3 k you install yourself- I was quoted 7k from a shop using goerend parts...that's why I chose another option. Build it for more hp then you plan on putting down...do it once and do it right! Trans is more critical than the motor IMO...your truck can run great but with no trans you ain't gonna go far!