5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

Can you not EFI Tune a 2005 5.9l?

Old 11-24-2016, 11:24 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Can you not EFI Tune a 2005 5.9l?

Hey all!

Been reading about custom tunes for diesels, (specifically EFI Live), and from what I've read it seems to be one of the best things you can do for your truck! But I can't seem to find much info on doing it to an 05 or older...Is it not possible to do??

And if that's the case how do I know I'm getting the most out of my truck! Like if I add all of these parts how do I know I'm getting my maximum use out of them! If Add a new aftermarket turbo and aftermarket injectors How do I tune them to each other in an 05? Just seems like you would be missing out on some HP in the end if You can't tune... Am I missing something? Thanks guys!

Old 11-25-2016, 01:28 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

You can not tune an 05 with EFI. It's for 06+ -Best tuning for your truck will be the smarty unit jr. Or sr. unit. lots on info on the web about which setting is best for what add ons you're running

Old 11-25-2016, 03:52 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 76 Posts

Sure can tune the 03-05 trucks just like IFI live.

Both Smarty UDC Pro and HP Tuners allows the same access as EFI Live to the older trucks, full control of everything that is available.

Old 11-25-2016, 05:57 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok cool I'll look into it! Thanks for the info! So what's different on the 06 and later that makes it tunable that isn't on the 05?

Old 11-25-2016, 10:06 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 76 Posts

Starting in 06 the com protocols were switched to CAN Bus, prior to that they were a proprietary protocol that did not have the band width CAN has. It is not that it couldn't be done, as evidenced by the latest tuners, just the EFI Live gave up because it just wasn't going to be feasible for them to do a special program for only 3 years of trucks.

HP Tuners does a lot more than just diesel, and Smarty does all Cummins engines back to 98.5. The older ones do not have the broad controls of course but an 05 has the comparable the tables and controls that the CAN systems have and can be fully programmed.

Search this Thread