5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

bad injectors? need confirmation.

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2016, 04:58 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bad injectors? need confirmation.

First thanks in advance for the help. I have an '06 3500 stock with 315000 on it. Its been a great truck. so far I have changed the CP3, FCA, dump valve and the # 3 injector. all about a year ago when I hit around 300k. The recent issue is when it sits overnight or a couple days it wont start unless I unplug the FCA. I am pretty sure that its time to bite the bullet and get the other 5 injectors. Am I on the right track or is it possibly my lift pump too. Mine is an '06 so its in the tank. BTW just put 35 gallons of fuel in it before this issue started (sucks)! Guessing injectors, but should I change the pump too with that many miles on it?

Old 11-23-2016, 09:28 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 76 Posts

Probably injectors with that many miles. Of course, you need to verify LP pressures but if it runs fine once it is started not going to be the LP. You need a set of injectors, preferably something better than stock if so inclined by at a minimum new Bosch production injectors. Not sure what the single replacement was but unless it was NEW don't bother piece meal on injectors.

You can find some good deals on line, DAP, Engineered Diesel, for stock production units, or, Exergy or BBI for some better quality units. Do some research before buying.

Old 11-24-2016, 10:32 AM
Diesel Fan

Thanks for the input, The new injector I put in was a new bosch stock injector. its got about 20k on it. considering going with new 60 over injectors. hate to replace a relatively new injector but they all need to be the same. should I replace the feed tubes while I'm at it?

Old 11-24-2016, 11:23 AM
Diesel Wrench

Yes, at this point new feed tubes is a really good idea. If you stay with OE injectors chances are you really only need 5, if it was a certified NEW injector and not a reman.

Be careful with the advertised 60 HP injectors, some flaky results from them. The BMS50 is really the only production run injector that seems to have little problems and they are not perfect either. The ones marketed as BMS50 or 60 with the 124 pattern are not a production run injector so all the tolerances are solely on assembler and that is where the variances can vary widely.

Old 11-30-2016, 05:43 PM
Diesel Fan

Appreciate the feedback. Yes the one injector I replaced was NEW and not a reman. I will get this done soon and let you know how it went. Thanks again.

Old 12-02-2016, 09:05 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Dude...it will run for a long time if it has clean fuel. You NEED a better filter system than what it came with. The factory system is good for 8 microns, the injectors will have issues at 3 microns. Buy a preparator.

Old 12-02-2016, 09:36 PM
Diesel Wrench

Factory filter on an 06 was 10 um, the newer Fleetguard filter is 7 um, a Donaldson that fits the OE housing is 5 um. A Donaldson or CAT at 3 um between the OE filter housing and the CP-3 is about the best way to do it easily.

Tenneyshoo, I just noticed you are in Piedmont. My son lives in Surrey Hills.